Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Denarius Trajan Weird Surface

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 413Next Topic  

Germany
35 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  09:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add stgaudens to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I received my first ancient coin today, a Trajan Denarius. Under magnification, the surfaces look very weird. Does anyone have an explanation for that?

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1824 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Horn silver adhesions to the surface?
Germany
35 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stgaudens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
any other opinions?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2307 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
....Certainly looks like 'horn silver'.....Just a thought but maybe post a decent photo of the full coin ob and reverse?
Germany
35 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stgaudens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure, here are more pictures:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2307 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO...From the photos it looks like a decent example, worn but still nice!....Thanks for sharing Paul.
Germany
35 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stgaudens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks :) I also like the coin and I'm fascinated by its history! Horn silver is only seen on authentic coins, right? According to my research it builds up on hoards of silver coins buried together for a long time. Wouldn't that make it a guarantee of authenticity in a way?
Pillar of the Community
United States
888 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2021  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too bad it's slabbed, I've had good luck with cleaning horn silver.

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 413Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05