Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: Classic US Commemorative Coins With A Ship

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 513Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6561 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  07:01 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here's another Index to a set of posts I've made about classic-era US commemorative coins over in the "Post Your..." forum area (Post Your... Gallery). This time out - the Index covers one of the most popular ways of building a topical set of coins, regardless of country or circulation vs. non-circulating legal tender (NCLT). I refer, of course, to coins that fit the topic or theme of "Ships on Coins."

Here's my list of 12 classic-era US commemorative coins that include a ship/watercraft of some type. From multi-masted sailing ships to a simple canoe, watercraft have certainly been a part of the series' designs! Have I missed any?

The link for each coin listed below connects to a post that presents a brief discussion focused on the ship/watercraft that is included within the coin's design(s).

1. 1892-93 World's Columbian Exposition Half Dollar
2. 1920 Landing of Pilgrims 300th Anniversary
3. 1924 Huguenot-Walloon - 300th Anniversary of New York City
4. 1925 Norse-American Centennial Medal
5. 1935 Hudson, NY 150th Anniversary
6. 1935-36 Panama-California International Exposition ("San Diego")
7. 1936 Delaware / New Sweden 300th Anniversary
8. 1936 Long Island Tercentenary
9. 1936 Norfolk, VA Bicentennial/Tricentennial
10. 1936 Providence, RI Tercentenary- Canoe vs. Sailing Ship
11. 1936 San Francisco - Oakland Bay Bridge Opening ("Bay Bridge") - Steam ship vs. Sailing Ship
12. 1937 Roanoke Colony Memorial

Bonus:

- 2004 Westward Journey Keelboat Nickel PNC

As always, there are lots of coins with ships on display over in the target thread - some are "in your face" while others are far more subtle and require a closer look. The same can be said for the ships found on classic US commemorative coins. I encourage you to scroll around the "Post Your..." thread a bit after you check out one or more of my classic US commemorative coin posts - you might find a new collecting interest or new examples to include in your existing collection!

For other of my posts about commemorative coins and medals, check out: Read More: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
104880 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
511 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Classic commemoratives knew how to do the boats right! There are some gorgeous boats to see, makes me very happy to look them over
[Custom 7070 v3.0 WIP] - - - [Custom 7070 v2.0] - - - [Custom 7070 v1.0]
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6561 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Classic commemoratives knew how to do the boats right

I agree! There's something about a classic sailing ship on a coin that's very appealing! I'm almost always a fan of a coin depicting a sailing ship, regardless of the country of origin for the coin.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
104880 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There's something about a classic sailing ship on a coin that's very appealing!
Agreed as well.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7273 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2021  04:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Outstanding commems - thank you.

While I enjoy all of them, and my 'favorite' changes depending on which coin most recently viewed, I keep circling back to Chester Beach Halfmoon on the reverse of the Hudson half. That is one impressive, and funky, ship. To my imagination, the billowing sail at the stern of the Halfmoon represents the continuation of the whale's tail from the coins obverse. Great fun indeed with these coins.

1935 Hudson (NY) Sesquicentennial Half Dollar PCGS MS66/CAC

Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6561 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@nickelsearcher: The Half Moon is definitely done well on the Hudson coin and worthy of being a favorite!

I've always been partial to the Mayflower on the Pilgrim Tercentenary half dollar. It might be the history behind it or it might simply be because the Pilgrim was the second classic commemorative half dollar I added to my collection. Either way, I like it!

Edited by commems
05/30/2021 11:45 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61587 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, that Half Moon design is perfectly adapted to the shape of a coin.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 513Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05