Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why Are Judaea Capta Denarii So Expensive?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 383Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
887 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2021  7:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been wondering this for awhile, why is a Vespasian Judaea Capta denarius so expensive? I don't believe they are rare. Is it the historical significance? I've seen them come up from time to time, but a little out of my league. Even in horrible condition, they command high prices.
Not my coin - just for reference:
Edited by travelcoin
06/03/2021 7:50 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18694 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2021  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Judea Capta denarius is not rare,
but the motif relates to a historically important subject, both to general secular history of the area, and to Biblical history.

From a Biblical standpoint that is why the Tiberius denarius 'Tribute Penny' is also popular, and is much more expensive than it would otherwise would be, despite the fact that the Tribute Penny is also relatively common.

In both cases, the auction demand for them has always been high.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
992 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2021  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well it would be nice if this was true: The coin is special because in Isaiah 3:26 back in the 8th-7th century BC he has a vision for the fall of Jerusalem and from the King James Version of the Bible "Her gates shall lament and mourn, And she being desolate shall sit on the ground." So he has a vision but what is a vision except for seeing future events right? So in his mind he sees Jerusalem after Vespasian and Titus are done with it and looking around he sees a lot of future Roman soldiers spending money which on closer inspection indeed has her sitting on the ground. Does seem a bit odd the coin kind of matches so well to what he was seeing.(Obviously that is not at all true but still kind of cool. I am not sure the Tribute penny of Tiberius is that rare either but it certainly commands some money to get one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
887 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2021  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I had a feeling. LV - thanks for the history lesson. I guess to a lesser degree, same goes for Marcus Aurelius and Commodus coins thanks to the movie Gladiator.

As always, the value of something is what someone is willing to pay for it.
Learn More...
Australia
13726 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  12:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Value" is a product of supply and demand. These are valuable because even though the supply is relatively high, the demand for these coins is much higher than for other equally common coins, and this in turn is due to their inclusion in most "biblical coins" lists.

In that sense, they are "more valuable than they ought to be" for much the same reason that coins of Hawaii, Puerto Rico and US Philippines are more valuable than they ought to be: they are more in demand, because they are listed in a popular book (the Red Book) that many collectors use as their guide for "what to collect".
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 383Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05