Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: Classic US Commemorative Coins Depicting A Statue

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 310Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6403 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  07:13 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Some designers of classic US commemorative coins found their inspiration in existing statues and used them as a primary design device, some included a statue as a minor element because, in life, it was present in the scene to be conveyed and one presented a statue he was commissioned to create along with the coin. Most definitely a mix of motivations!

I've posted about each one over in the "Post Your..." thread area and included images and additional content for each to supplement what I've posted here in the US Commemorative Coins threads - If you enjoy learning about the background of the designs used on the coins you collect, I think you will find that a few minutes spent checking out the other thread will be worth your time! You might even see something that you hadn't noticed before!

Here's my list (with links) of 7 "Classic Commemorative Coins That Depict a Statue" plus a couple of bonuses. Have any to add?

1. 1900 Lafayette Memorial Dollar
2. 1916-17 McKinley Birthplace Memorial
3. 1918 Illinois Statehood Centennial
4. 1925 Lexington-Concord Sesquicentennial
5. 1928 Hawaiian (European) Discovery Sesquicentennial - Honorable Mention
6. 1936 Elgin, IL Centennial
7. 1936 Lynchburg, VA Sesquicentennial

BONUSES:

- 1975 American Revolution Bicentennial Administration (ARBA) 1975 Medal
- 1989 Congress Bicentennial Silver Dollar and CuNi Clad Half Dollar

This is an Index to a new thread I started in the "Post Your...." thread area. So, depending on when you see this post and/or visit the other thread, there may either be just a few or potentially many other "statue coins" on display. The US commemorative series certainly doesn't have a monopoly on the theme, so I'm sure other coins and medals will be added over time. Visit the thread from time to time to view the new additions!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
103860 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18181 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Fantastic!

Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 310Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05