Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1931 Soviet 20 Kopecks - Ghosting?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 229Next Topic  
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  04:26 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add wildrover to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all. I just recently picked up another Soviet piece for the collection, as I've really been enjoying their designs. However, upon looking at the reverse with my magnifier, I noticed that inside the shield were faint lines behind the 20. It looks like the globe and sunburst designs that make up the Soviet state emblem. I've added a closeup of the coin for reference below.

I'm guessing it's just ghosting as a result from worn dies, like you see on George V coins. Any confirmation/clarification would be great, thanks!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3512 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  04:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Clashed Die
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3555 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  05:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Clashed Die

Ghosting probably wouldn't bring out minor details in the middle like that.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  06:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wildrover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see, thank you! I hadn't considered clashed dies at all, but it totally makes sense now.

Is this a rather common occurrence for Soviet coinage of the era? I'm interested in what their minting process/conditions were like.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 229Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05