Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection Canadian: 2011 Parks Canada Silver Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 395Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6372 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  7:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In 2011, the Royal Canadian Mint (R C M) marked the 100th anniversary of the creation of Parks Canada (originally the Dominion Parks Branch within the Department of the Interior) with a multi-coin program that included circulation coins and collector coins. One of the collector coins released was a commemorative silver dollar (SD).

Today, Parks Canada oversees more than 225 National Parks (42), National Historic Sites (167), National Marine Parks/Conservation Areas (4) and other Canadian sites and landmarks of cultural and natural importance (12+).

The mandate of Parks Canada is to "protect and present nationally significant examples of Canada's natural and cultural Heritage, and foster public understanding, appreciation and enjoyment in ways that ensure the ecological and commemorative integrity of these places for present and future generations."

Banff (in Alberta's Rocky Mountains) was Canada's first natural area/park to be designated as a National Park by the Government of Canada - it happened on November 25, 1885. What began with a set aside of approximately 10 square miles around hot springs, has grown to be to a park that today covers 2,564 square miles!

The SD's commemorative reverse presents a close-up view of a Canadian youth peering into cupped hands. The hands are symbolically holding four of Canada's endangered species: a Whooping Crane, a Southern Maidenhair Fern, a Western Prairie-Fringed Orchid and a Kentucky Coffee Tree. (Note: The Mint does not specifically identify the gender of the young Canadian depicted, but the artist has stated that his young daughter served as his model for the coin.)

The design is the work of Luc Normandin, an artist/illustrator based in Quebec. In addition to the SD, he has designed the reverse of several other coins for the R C M, including the 2012 gold $500 Maple Leaf Forever coin, the 2014 $50 silver Maple Leaf forever coin, the 2015 $125 silver Conservation Series - Whooping Crane and the 2013 silver and gold 250th Anniversary of the End of the Seven Years War kilogram coins.

The 2011 SD was struck on a 0.925 fine (92.5%) silver planchet (Sterling Silver); the planchet's composition includes 7.5% copper. The coin's planchet is 36.07 millimeters in diameter and weighs 25.175 grams.

The Parks Canada SD was available in proof and brilliant uncirculated (BU) versions. The standard proof version had a maximum mintage of 40,000, while the BU version had a limit of 25,000; a selectively-gold-plated (SGP) version that was only available in the standard 2011 proof set, had a product limit of 45,000. Actual mintage figures for the coins are: individual proof - 30,692 / SGP proof in set - 32,910 / brilliant uncirculated - 26.304. The individual proof coin had an issue price of $55.95; the proof set price was $114.95 and the BU dollar issue price was $49.95; all prices CAD.

I find the design to be quite interesting, certainly a novel presentation. The placement of endangered flora and fauna in the hands of a child, who is intently looking upon them, makes quite a statement about the future and the need for improved environmental oversight so that future generations can enjoy what surrounds us today.

2011 Parks Canada Commemorative Silver Dollar - Reverse (Proof)

For other of my posts about Canadian coins and medals, check out: Read More: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
501 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@commems

As always very informative and a great description of one of the more compelling coin designs applied to the SD series.

The 2011 SD also marked the end of an era; this was the last SD struck on a Sterling silver planchet. With the move in 2012 to 99.99% fine silver, the overall weight dropped by 2 grams and given the current tax rules for PM purity, I don't see a return to Sterling this side of a Silver shortage.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60672 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally don't care for the design, but thank you as always for your scholarship.
Learn More...
Canada
9842 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just as an aside, part of that silver dollar design was also used to strike a 2011 Royal Canadian Mint Employee medal, as a 1 oz pure silver coin. There were four elements to this coin, to celebrate the four branches of the Royal Canadian Mint (international contracts, Canadian circulating coinage, Canadian numismatic coinage (which used the silver dollar) and bullion department). Estimated mintage of 300 or so.

https://www.icollector.com/2011-Roy...in_i20500125
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6372 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just as an aside, part of that silver dollar design was also used to strike a 2011 Royal Canadian Mint Employee medal,

Yes, I have it planned as a follow-up post. I've discussed it in response to questions from others, but I wanted to give it its own spotlight.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
Canada
9842 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2021  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a full description of that employee medal, that I included in the back in the 72 Edition of the Charlton Catalogue, that I can send you. It took me a bit of hunting, but I eventually figured out which foreign coin design they used.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6372 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2021  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@SPP-Ottawa: I appreciate the offer! I always enjoy receiving such info.

I looked into this medal several years ago...

I believe the foreign coin design used on the medal is the South Point Lighthouse of Barbados, as seen on that nation's five cents piece. Am I correct?

Edited by commems
08/26/2021 8:12 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 395Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05