Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Commemorative Coin Series: Quick Bits #33 - Watching The Clouds

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 245Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6768 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2021  4:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Many (most?) coins that feature the sky in their design present it as a flat field that is essentially featureless. When not empty, the most common element seen in the sky is the sun. I've posted before about the classic US commemorative coins that feature a sun in their design (link below), but I wondered if there was another list of objects seen in the sky waiting to be discovered! So, I quickly scanned the coins, and...

I learned there weren't many coins to list. As two "coins with clouds" came to mind before I even began my review, I thought for sure that clouds would be a plentiful theme. Turns out, I was wrong. Other than the two coins I originally thought of, I didn't find one other classic commemorative coin with clouds in its design. So, not enough for a dedicated series, but plenty for a "Quick Bits."

Clouds make their first appearance on the 1936 Delaware - New Sweden Tercentenary half dollar. The obverse design of the coin is dominated by Old Swedes Church (constructed in 1698-99 and still standing today - it is still used as a place of worship). Above the church is seen a stylized cluster of clouds masking the sun. The sun's rays make their way through the clouds, however, and are depicted beaming down upon the church.

The Delaware's reverse presents the Kalmar Nyckel, the lead and larger of the two ships that brought the original settlers to Delaware; the Fogel Grip was the other. The coin's design is the work of Carl L. Schmitz.

1936 Delaware - New Sweden Tercentenary

The other "cloud coin" is the 1946 Iowa Statehood Centennial half dollar. Behind the cupola of the Old Stone Capitol depicted on the coin's reverse is a sky that is full of serious-looking clouds. The Capitol Bulding is now part of the University of Iowa; it was given to the University by the State when the capital was transferred to Des Moines on December 1, 1857 by the State Legislature. It was the first permanent building of the University and, for a period from 1857 to 1863, it was its only building and housed the entire University. The coin was designed by Adam Pietz.

1946 Iowa Statehood Centennial

Furher reading:

- Classic US Commemorative Coins Depicting the Sun
- 1936 Delaware / New Sweden Tercentenary - Coins Depicting Places Thread
- 1946 Iowa Statehood Centennial - Coins Depicting Places Thread

Other posts about the Delaware and Iowa half dollars (plus other commemorative coins and medals) can be found at: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
10/02/2021 5:16 pm
Valued Member
United States
277 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2021  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice info and coins. Somebody sing Judy Collins Both Sides Now
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7344 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  05:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice commems, thank you for sharing.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Learn More...
United States
106572 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 245Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: