Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Couple Of GB £1 Coins With Errors

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 439Next Topic  
United Kingdom
15 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2021  3:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add justynp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi

I recently came across these GB £1 coins any opinions would be greatly appreciated

2017 £1 has a different color tone, appears to be round, loads of doubling / mistrikes and isn't at all magnetic.

2016 £1 coin also has a different tone, various errors and the edge milling is different to other £1 coins

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9770 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2021  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and to the Forum!

I'll leave it to others to comment on your 2017 coin. Maybe it's a forgery. Please could you post clear photos showing the complete reverse and obverse of the coin and a section of the edge?

The 2016 coin appears to have environmental toning and has the scarcer type of edge reeding. If you look immediately under the 'N' of 'ONE POUND' on the reverse, most pound coins have a blank segment of edge, but around 1 in 20 2016 coins have a milled segment. They aren't particularly rare. I've never found a pound coin of any other date with this anomaly.

I've noticed Machine Doubling on quite a few bimetallic pound coins but I haven't seen an example of doubled dies, which would be considered more collectable.
Learn More...
Australia
14014 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2021  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd agree that those aren't "errors" on the 2017; all those features (especially the wrong magnetism) adds up to it being a forgery.

If the 2017 is a forgery too, it's a much more sophisticated, realistic forgery. I'd assume that one was OK.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Learn More...
United States
108244 Posts
United Kingdom
15 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justynp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Thanks for your replies I will upload some more pics tonight, regarding the 2017 maybe being a forgery is fine by me as I find these just as interesting as error coins.
pics coming asap

Thanks
Justyn P
United Kingdom
15 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justynp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As requested I have attached some more pictures of the 2017 GB £1 apologies only Iphone pictures !>!

United Kingdom
15 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justynp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rob regarding your comment :
The 2016 coin appears to have environmental toning and has the scarcer type of edge reeding. If you look immediately under the 'N' of 'ONE POUND' on the reverse, most pound coins have a blank segment of edge, but around 1 in 20 2016 coins have a milled segment. They aren't particularly rare. I've never found a pound coin of any other date with this anomaly.

I also have the following with a similar edge GB 2017 & GB 2018 and these are slightly magnetic unless these are possible fakes too ?
Thanks for your comments its invaluable as I'm still learning

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 439Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: