Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Variations: Early Series? Missing Security Strip? Post It By Variation + Nation Name & Series

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 203Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1494 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  6:06 pm Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I would like to start a number of individual threads for collectors who are interested in collecting tougher (or simply popular) Variations of recent issues. When I write recent issues I mean banknotes from 1960 and later & by variations I mean a more collectible note due to design uniqueness, short/limited or recalled prefixes. I will use this thread as an example & hope to get CCF member questions, feedback & input in this thread here. If you wish to contribute feedback about a particular national variation than please add these to the variation-nation thread. If you wish to provide input/feedback to the theme of what is collectible (or general opinions about recent price changes for variations, etc) than contribute to this thread:

So, for example, the Bank of Canada (BoC) first issued the Journey series in 2001. The first short prefix was FDY which caught collectors by surprise:

And later still the 2001 FEE change-over:

The variation may not be that specific. It could be early Belgium 100 Francs banknotes with the signature on the front (3 years) as opposed to P-142 (with signatures on front & back):

http://www.banknote.ws/COLLECTION/c.../BEL0140.htm

Other examples could be the 1993 East Caribbean series which lasted only 1 short year

- probably as the markers were tough to see!
... or the 1992/93 50 Francs P-157a from France;
probably due to some errors within the deign.

The idea is just to post a note which you think was short lived due to some design flaw, security compromise, or for whatever reasons.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1494 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2021  08:39 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Eastern Caribbean Central Bank

Here's a link to what I've learned about the first 6 Series* of the Eastern Caribbean States.
http://goccf.com/t/409233
For more info on ECS series, I recommend the banknote museum:
http://www.banknote.ws/COLLECTION/c.../XCD/XCD.htm

*(I've combined the 1985-19993 Series since they're essentially the same except that the 2nd version is modified to include Anguilla. I've also combined the 1993 & 1994 since 1994 has been modified so the markers are easily distinguished).

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6774 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2021  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this one qualifies...

1992 Bahamas $1 Commemorative Note for Christopher Columbus Quincentennial - it is a one-year type:

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
125 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2021  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Orac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mulberry vairety on Irish banknotes, whereby the date and serial number on red-numbered notes sometimes appeared as a dark red or burgundy 'mulberry' colour would seem to fit this category.

As far as I know, David Keable (UK dealer and researcher) first labelled the variety in the mid-1970s. The variety occurs most often in Central Bank of Ireland notes dated 1959-1963, including the 01X issue.

There is a write up on the Irish mulberry serial variety notes on the Irish paper money website https://www.irishpapermoney.com/var...k-notes.html
The variety is sough-after by collectors, and exists for 1, 5, 10, 50, 100 notes.
It is probably due to unstable ink, or excessive inking on the notes.

Very occasional older issue mulberry notes have also been seen as far back as 1928, and the variety has also been seen on Irish Ploughman notes (https://www.irishpapermoney.com/plo...ction.html).

The variety is best-illustrated by the three notes below, 320725, normal red serial numbers; 320726, 'black mulberry (a very dark red on close examination); 320727 normal red.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1494 Posts
Learn More...
United States
106618 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 203Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: