Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1997 Toonie Die Crack?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 267Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
425 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  2:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys just found this 1997 toonie in some change I got today and it stuck out as to it being better condition than my current album filler. I don't think it's fake although it is off in weight minutely (7.24g). I noticed what looks like a die crack on it and wanted to know what you all think of it? Pics for comparison, first pics are the die crack coin in question.

There's always two sides to the coin if you have the patience to see. -Kathryn Budig
Valued Member
Canada
425 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like no one is too sure so here's my last try with some good photos from my scope of the die crack. Anyone else agree?

There's always two sides to the coin if you have the patience to see. -Kathryn Budig
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4040 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a crack of some kind, but I've never seen one like it. Every die crack I've seen on older Canadian coinage start at a specific section in the design that has a sharp change of direction, That is usually from a denticle, a bead, a serif on a number or letter, or something in the portrait or reverse design where there is a sudden change of direction. That creates a tremendous stress point during striking so the metal will crack ... too much force on a small sliver/section of the die.. Your inset goes from smooth to smooth, so I don't understand, unless it didn't happen during the strike, but rather when the 2 components were combined and didn't quite match. It's a keepr since no one else on here has shown one.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2107 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting, since the core and the ring are two different pieces of metal is it a possible planchette flaw on the core? Its hard to tell from the photos, maybe a possible lamination issue specifically effecting the core? If the core and ring are two separate pieces then if it was a die crack would it be a retained broken planchette? Don't know enough about coins with different metal competitions I have never looked into toonies much.

Either way looks good and a keeper:) if you have not already I would recommend an acetone soak to confirm it is not foreign debris.
Valued Member
Canada
425 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for both of your input on this as I was rather stumped and still am as well. All good questions I wish I could answer but I do know it is definitely on the core itself with some type of cracking or maybe lamination as it is raised and I can feel it. I will throw it in a 2x2 as a die crack and tuck it away though!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2107 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it goes from rim to Tim(not the core, idk if it would be a die crack? Die brake is rim to rim but that would not be the case here as the core and ring are struck as a whole. If it is a die crack it's not like ones I have seen.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 267Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: