Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Few Questions On Double Dies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 183Next Topic  
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2021  7:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add The Detectorist to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey Coop or whoever chooses to answer...I watched the video for the double dies that Coop has listed in his signature area. I have just a few questions regarding a double die...first of all how does this happen? Does a coin get struck more than once while it is being made...because a lot of the double dies I see are in the words/(devices as you all call them) but not on the bust of the coin which would indicate that the words/devices are struck seperately from the rest of the coin.
The definition of double die in its own wording would mean to me the coin is struck twice or more...or does the die itself got the doubling already in it that creates the problem. Why is there only doubling on one side of the coin as opposed to both sides of the coin most of the time...are the obverse and reverse struck separately? Is there a video anywhere that shows the coin making process?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3677 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2021  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
or does the die itself got the doubling already in it that creates the problem.

^That^

I think this site has a good in-depth explanation: http://www.doubleddie.com/58222.html

A doubled die occurs during the hubbing process (where the design is put onto the dies) when the design is inadvertently duplicated on the die. Therefore the die has the doubling and every coin struck from that die should in turn also show the doubling.

The are multiple "classes" of doubled dies that explain the different ways in which the design can be duplicated in this process. US doubled dies are also divided into two eras: multiple-squeeze (before 1996/7) and single-squeeze (1996/7 and on). This is because the mint changed their hubbing process from one where multiple squeezes or presses were needed to fully hub the design into the die to another where only one squeeze is needed. Doubled dies have a different appearance depending on which era as each have different possible classes.
Edited by Tanman2001
11/17/2021 7:28 pm
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2021  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The Detectorist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Tanman I read about all the different double die classes on the site you posted the link for...very informative and very educational!
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 183Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: