Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Wrong Design And Color $20 Polymer

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 19 / Views: 445Next Topic
Page: of 2

Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  8:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mike2829 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Interesting note I found about a month ago. What are your thoughts?

Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sirguardian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a coin site... you should move this to the "note" section
Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mike2829 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sirguardian
Clearly says "Canadian Bank Notes and Paper Money - Including Grading, Varieties, and Errors" in the section I'm at.
Edited by Mike2829
11/26/2021 12:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1491 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  11:40 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My thoughts are:
"What does it feel like? & What does it smell like?" I have seen similar notes that have been exposed to a solvent & the colours change like that. That's my first impression & what it appears like to me. I may be wrong but the note looks fairly circulated & more a post-production change (or reaction to the polymer inks). A lot of people were "experimenting," exposing them to heat, alcohol & solvents to remove the holographic strip/SN's so it wouldn't surprise me.

I'd have to inspect the note to be sure tho.
Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mike2829 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
walk2dwater, so my best bet is to probably send it in to get certified? Looks legit under the microscope. It appears that some of the printing is printed over top of the purple ink dots also top left 20 is printed over the purple dots. Feels normal, doesn't smell weird.
Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mike2829 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
walk2dwater, I am honestly skeptical myself. It is a fairly obvious error that the quality control should have noticed + the fact that it had been in circulation for a while. But there's a part of me that thinks if it's a legitimate error could be worth a few bucks.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12571 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I noticed on your same post on another forum that you were going to get in
touch with Steven Bell @ BCS Ltd. What was the outcome of that?
Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mike2829 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
JimmyD, I have yet to print off the form. Just thought I'd get some other people's thoughts on the bill. Seems to be a lot more knowledgeable people on this forum.
Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mike2829 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But what I'm basically getting is that the polymer bills have been extensively tampered with. So my best bet is to just send it in to get it a straight answer.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12571 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It may be hard to proof that it is a printing error unless more show up.
They are printed 4 across by 10 around so if it was some sort of an ink problem,
there would be more of them out there.
Still might be worth sending it in to find out for sure.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1491 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's good that it doesn't feel/smell any different from any other $20.00. I would ask others to feel & smell it to just be sure. If others feel like you then you could submit it.

I always take a hard look at my notes to "guestimate" what grade it will get. Sometimes TPG's will simply state the grade & that it cannot be determined (if or if not) post production alteration. (I've seen this before) They don't always identify errors & reserve the right to reject. If he finds any nicks or damage the note will lose its "Original" designation & this will throw doubt as to whether somethings been done to it. On the other hand, he may have seen one and then that clears up the mystery.
Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mike2829 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
walk2dwater, I won't get my hopes up and it's definitely circulated.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1491 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a very interesting $20 (& I hope that it proves to be something worthwhile) but I've seen enough not to get my hopes up either.

Re: certification
I submitted a number of pack fresh polymers from bundles to BCS & once got an UNC64 with no "Original." When I called Steve to ask why, he told me he found a nick in the polymer. Some collectors have a certify anything mentality but I think its always good to consider the cost & potential grades gains (& possible losses).

BTW: have you thought about posting your enquiry at the CPMF?
https://cdnpapermoney.com/forum/
Edited by walk2dwater
11/26/2021 5:54 pm
Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2021  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mike2829 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
walk2dwater, would I post that in the polymer series or the error note section?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1491 Posts
Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mike2829 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Decided to just contact The Bank of Canada Museum.

"The Bank of Canada Museum has received your email. We have transferred it to the Museum's Collections Team".
Page: of 2 Replies: 19 / Views: 445Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: