Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection Canadian: 2014 Exploring Canada - West Coast Exploration

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 456Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7032 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  4:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The Royal Canadian Mint (R C M) launched its "Exploring Canada" series in 2014. The series included ten 0.9999 fine silver $15 coins, 36 mm in diameter with a weight of 23.17 grams - the same planchet specifications as those of the Mint's silver dollar (SD) commemorative series. The collection was intended as a showcase for Canadian exploration and history; its release was split between 2014 (six coins) and 2015 (four coins). The coins were available individually and via subscription; the subscription included a custom-printed display box with spots for all ten coins.

As a US collector who enjoys commemorative coins, I am always on the look out for coins that celebrate joint history between the US and another country. The series' "West Coast Exploration" coin was one that peaked my interest as its commemorative reverse design honored British Explorer Captain George Vancouver. While Vancouver is certainly an important figure in Canada's history, his famous expedition 1791-95) that included the surveying of the northwest coast of North America included significant time charting the coasts of what are the present-day US states of California, Oregon and Washington. Vancouver's maps were highly-detailed and very accurate; they were used for decades after he created them (not a typical occurrence).

The coin's commemorative reverse was created by freelance artist John Mantha. It presents a scene in which Vancouver is seen checking over a newly-created map while scanning the surveyed landscape that lies in front of him. Seen behind him are a uniformed member of the expedition along with a local First Nations male. The inclusion of an aboriginal figure in the design was meant to represent the contributions of many First Nations people to Vancouver's expedition - Vancouver was aided greatly by the sharing of much local geographic information by local inhabitants.

The obverse features the Susanna Blunt portrait of Queen Elizabeth II.

The matte proof coin was issued at $54.95 CAD; it had a maximum mintage of 15,000. Per the Mint's Annual Reports for 2014 and 2015, the coin sold 4,942 and 1,235 units, respectively, for a total of 6,177 coins.

I'm not sure I will pursue the entire collection, but I will likely add the "Pioneering Mapmakers" coin, featuring David Thompson, to my collection at some point. Thompson was the principal surveyor/mapmaker of the newly-established US-Canada border after the the UK and US signed the 1814 Treaty of Ghent.

2014 Exploring Canada - West Coast Exploration Silver $15

For my post on the first coin of the series - "The Voyageurs" - check out:

- 2014 Exploring Canada - The Voyageurs

For other of my posts about Canadian commemorative coins and medals (plus those of the US and other countries!), see: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
12/07/2021 4:23 pm
Learn More...
Canada
10044 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2021  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice write-up, I enjoy your historical perspectives.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7032 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2021  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@SPP-Ottawa: Thanks much! I'm glad you liked the post!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64297 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2021  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have a lot of fans out here!
Learn More...
United States
108260 Posts
Learn More...
Canada
10044 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2021  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also like history, but I think in geologic time.

I have thought of writing up some Canadian coins, as you do, but focussing on those that highlight Canadian geology (e.g., Hopewell Rocks, etc.), because I collect them. Unfortunately, my current career consumes too much of my time.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
211 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2021  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rockfish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coin from a great series. Thanks for the info.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1739 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2021  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pocket change 50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another great post, I always come away with a new view of a coin or added historical knowledge! You write so well and through bring a piece of metal to life, as no other person can! Over the years, my views and coin collecting focuses have become more refined as I read your posts! It's a very interesting perspective to have a collection of coins which share joint history with another country!! This post I learned when the border was first established between our two countries! I'm curious did you get any of the war of 2012 coins other then the silver dollar? I absolutely love the gilded version from the silver proof set. I have at least 3 singles, including my set.

I appreciate the time and care you take with each post. The images are fantastic, except when seeing how much the proof frosting has changed, since introduced. The Queen looks as if she's broken out in a rash! I recall reading a post several years ago, where someone compared the proof frosting finish changes. As I edit to include frosting to be more precise, I realize I have forgotten many of the technical terms!

It's time I dig out a few coins to look at. It's been a couple of years since I've looked at my nclt coins. I am looking forward to reading your other posts. The one which still stands out after all these years is the Mark Twain coin post. Iearned so much about him. He was one of my favourite childhood authors.

I will now need to go and look at the series. As well as your other posts. Many thanks for reigniting my coin collecting passion!!
Edited by pocket change 50
12/20/2021 12:25 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7032 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2021  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for the kind words! I like to think that I collect history through coins and medals vs. simply being a collector of coins. Writing about the history behind what I collect has always been enjoyable for me.

Here's a link to many of my "history" posts for commemorative coins and medals: Commems Collection.

I also fondly recall the multiple discussions of "frost" on Mint proof coins. I believe canadian_coins was the leader of such discussions - he used wonderful images to illustrate his posts. Sadly, he posted that he was exiting CCF awhile back and hasn't been an active poster for quite a stretch.

Edited by commems
12/20/2021 10:10 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 456Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: