Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1913 Buffalo Nickel, Says Bu, But Looks AU

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 360Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
338 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  1:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jdford to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Main reason I posted was for my knowledge. The nickel looks to have lam on both sides mostly the reverse, you can see liberty is faded out somewhat, however I noticed black splotches on the coin on obverse, and more noticeable on reverse. Is this the seller trying to cover the mold, or is it something else?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1053 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not seeing the LAM. Liberty might be a bit grease filled or just not struck fully. Don't see any seller modifications.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3556 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not seeing any lamination issues either. LIBERTY is typically weak on your T1, sans very well struck examples, but even then, it's weaker than years following. This one is average.

Not MS, agree with AU
Valued Member
United States
338 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jdford to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps I miss interpreted what y'all called lam, I figured a splotch of extra metal or less than. For instance the buffalo beard is in disorder, the splotches underneath the belly and to the left of his feet.
What's the black spot on the rump of the buffalo?
Circled the areas I'm referring to. I'm only asking for my better knowledge, so please don't take this as me arguing of any sort.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64338 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As these go, not an attractive specimen.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3556 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The beard of the buff looks like it's accentuated by the lighting and shadows. Nothing abnormal, IMO.

The texturing you're seeing in the fields are your typical T1 design. The fields were smoothed over in your T2. Die state and strike will affect the way these details show up on the coin once struck. Personally, this is why I'm a fan of the T1, the texturing of the fields gives it a medallic effect. Nothing abnormal.

Brown spots you're seeing are toning spots, a few are noticeable on the obverse as well.

I would have to agree with CF, not the most attractive example. Especially if it's priced as BU.
Valued Member
United States
338 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jdford to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, thanks ty2020b. That's the answer I was looking for.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 360Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: