Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Coin That Killed Caesar, Or Something Else?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 506Next Topic  

Bulgaria
4 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2021  10:39 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add donkom to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone, I joined this forum to discuss a coin that I recently encountered from my father-in-law, who found it in a village in North East Bulgaria.

He presented it to me over Christmas Eve dinner and I took some quick snaps of it. The coin is small and features a veiled portrait. Being that the region is part of the former Roman Empire and I couldn't find any other references to veiled portraits on coins in the region, I am thinking that the portrait is of Julius Caesar.

This area of current-day Bulgaria has "changed hands" many times over the millennia so my search might not have been exhaustive. The village is near Balchik which I believe was also part of Romania for a time.

Any thoughts on this coin would be helpful. Thanks!

- Don Komarechka
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1052 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2021  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to Coin Community Forum!

Your coin looks more like a posthumous issue for Constantine the Great. Hard to tell exactly which one, but something like this (minted in Constantinople): https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=2200903

In any event, it's a nice find.
Bulgaria
4 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2021  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add donkom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent comparison! You're most likely right and I appreciate the ID.

It'll certainly prompt my father-in-law to dig more around his village to see if he can uncover any other treasures. :)
Valued Member
United States
289 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2021  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Carrigna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to know whether Bulgaria has a National law on any ancient treasures like the UK does?

It is near that your father in law find this coin. Rumania was part of the Roman Empire at one time. It would make sense that you have a Roman coin BUT it does not necessarily mean your area had to be a Roman province. Why?

It may be a merchant or a wealthy person carrying coins from the trade traveling through your village millennia ago. Somehow he or she lost it. Even a poor peasant could have this coin if he was paid in kind for the service provided?

Since the coin is identified, it is from the East Roman Empire or Byzantine Empire which is south of Bulgaria.I think some areas in Bulgaria was ruled by this empire.

Please feel welcomed to the CCF as you will get wonderful help from awesome guys here! &
Edited by Carrigna
12/25/2021 11:45 am
Valued Member
Bulgaria
127 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2021  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add iulius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have confused Bulgaria, Romania and the Roman Empire in such a way that it will be very difficult to fix them. Dionysupolis (Balchik) is an ancient city that became part of the Roman province of Moesia in the first century, conquered and inhabited by Bulgarians around 680, occupied by Romania, with the help of Russia in the period 1913 - 1940. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moesia There are many such late Roman coins everywhere in Bulgaria - for a month with a metal detector can be found about a kilogram, but the search and possession of coins is prohibited by law.
Bulgaria
4 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2021  03:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add donkom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I understand that the search for coins or artifacts with a metal detector may be prohibited by law in Bulgaria (for ordinary citizens), but is there any such laws that prevent the casual discovery and ownership of coins such as this on property that you legally own?

I would love to know any legal references to this. I cannot directly find anything except hearsay and anecdotes.

This coin was found when removing an old tree stump by complete coincidence / luck.
Valued Member
Bulgaria
127 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2021  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add iulius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will start with this - the law in Bulgaria is bad. Regardless of how a coin older than 1800 was found, it is owned by the state and must be taken to the nearest museum within seven days. In my opinion, coins like yours, which are not in good condition and are not rare, should be returned to the one who found it, but the law does not allow it.
Bulgaria
4 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2021  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add donkom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you point me towards these laws? I find articles like this: https://sofiaglobe.com/2016/08/19/b...cient-coins/ but nowhere can I find the actual legislation. It would be very helpful to read it.
Learn More...
United States
112350 Posts
Valued Member
Bulgaria
127 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2021  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add iulius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The whole law is extensive - to clarify the ancient coins are - "MOVABLE CULTURAL Heritage" - http://mc.government.bg/files/3696_...Bulgaria.pdf
Edited by iulius
12/27/2021 2:22 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 506Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: