Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection Canadian: 1972 Voyageur Silver Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 222Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7068 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  1:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
How about a 50-year "look back" in conjunction with the January 2022 coin release?

The 1972 silver dollar struck for collectors by the Royal Canadian Mint (R C M) stands out within the non-circulating legal tender (NCLT) 36 mm silver dollar (SD) series that has been ongoing since 1971. It is the only SD that does not feature a commemorative reverse design!

Rather than follow the 1971 SD that commemorated the 100th anniversary of British Columbia joining the Canadian Confederation with another "true" commemorative piece, the R C M issued a SD that featured the familiar voyageur reverse design that was created by Emanuel Hahn for use on Canada's circulating silver dollar; it was introduced on the 1935 SD and was used on all circulation issues except for the commemorative SDs of 1939, 1949, 1958, 1964 and 1967.

1972 Voyageur NCLT Silver Dollar

(Image Credit: Coins and Canada web site, http://www.coinsandcanada.com. Fair use.)

The coin's obverse features a portrait of Queen Elizabeth II; it was designed by British artist/sculptor Arnold Machin and appeared on the coins of Great Britain, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Rhodesia, beginning, variably by country, in 1964. Emanuel Hahn's famous Voyageurs canoe design - introduced on Canada's coins in 1935 - is presented on the reverse, Patrick Brindley, the R C M's chief engraver (circa 1972) refreshed / strengthened each of the designs and created new models for them.

On the obverse, Brindley added detail to QEII's portrait, especially her hair, to strengthen its overall appearance.

Comparing Brindley's circa-1972 Voyageurs design update to the Voyageur design on previous SDs (1966 and earlier), the most obvious difference is the replacement of the traditional denticles seen at the design's rim with beads a small distance from the rim. The 1972 nickel dollars featuring the Voyageur reverse that were struck for general circulation did not use Brindley's new model and retained the use of denticles until 1977 when they were replaced by rim beads.

At the time, the R C M struck its NCLT silver dollars to order. The 1972 SD was announced on March 24, 1972 and orders were accepted through September 30; an ordering window of six months plus a week. The SD was available for $3.00 CAD and was presented in a plastic frame inserted into a clam-shell case; the coin was not encapsulated.

The coins were double struck to maximize their details; planchets of 0.500 fine silver (balance copper) were used. The final mintage/sales figure for the 1972 silver dollar was 341,598.

Beginning in 1973 and continuing through to the present, each new 36 mm NCLT SD released by the R C M has featured a commemorative design. While some have featured a design used on a previous SD, they have all been issued to commemorate an anniversary and feature, at a minimum, commemorative dates (e.g., the 2017 Colville SD featured "1967-2017", 2010 Limited Edition SD for 75th anniversary of first Canadian SD issued included "1935-2010").

So, the 1972 "not a commemorative" silver dollar stands alone in the R C M's longest-running and most traditional NCLT series.

The 1972 coin is readily available in the market, often in its original clam-shell case - prices are generally reasonable, though high-grade, toned examples can be rather pricey - I've seen asking prices in the hundreds of dollars! Though the coin was placed into a plastic insert, it was not delivered in a protective capsule. To help protect the SD, and keep it in place within the case, the Mint included a small piece of foam in the SD package (covering the obverse). Coins stored with the foam insert in contact with the SD for a long period have often developed toning and "dimpled" surfaces - some more attractive than others. (I've also come across examples for which the foam actually damaged the SD's surface and thus diminished its value for those collectors who recognize the surface issues - unfortunately, not all do.)

Though lower in silver content than previous Voyageur SD's (i.e., those issued for circulation), the 1972 NCLT version remains an excellent way to add the design to one's coin collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
108551 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13281 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did the mint not issue a Voyageur Dollar coin in 2003?
I believe it came in both Silver and Gold.
I'm sure I have one somewhere.
Learn More...
Canada
10047 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really happy to see this write up. Thanks for doing this.

I absolutely love what those clamshell cases did for the specimen struck 1971-1973 single cased silver dollars (as opposed to what the 'red fluff' did to the 1973 Double Dollar Prestige sets). Some of my friends think I am crazy searching out well toned examples basically at melt prices, and sending basically a bullion coin to PCGS, but the toning is beautiful, and the cost is still much cheaper than hiring someone to professionally capture the colours and depth of field.

Here is a recent one I got back: https://www.PCGS.com/cert/40651393

I also have an error in this specific coin: https://www.PCGS.com/cert/26645599

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7068 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Did the mint not issue a Voyageur Dollar coin in 2003?

No. The Mint issued a commemorative SD for QEII's Coronation that featured the Voyageur design on its reverse, but the coin was commemorative in nature - it recalled the SD reverse at the time of the Queen's 1953 Coronation. That's different from the 1972 issue and its lack of associated milestone commemoration of a person/place/thing/event.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64435 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Voyageur design embodies the Canadian experience in so many ways.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7068 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@SPP-Ottawa: You're welcome! Very nice toned '72 SDs!

Pillar of the Community
Canada
5867 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always a good write up Commems
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 222Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: