Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Help Identify Greek Ae 18mm Artemis Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 219Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
261 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  8:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add twood89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The obverse appears to show Tyche or Artemis (a turreted bust at least), facing right. The reverse is odd as I cannot determine what script is on it- looks not Greek or Latin to me- and I have no clue whats in the middle of the reverse- a person...? Any help attributing this coin would be much appreciated.

It weighs 4.81g and is 18mm in diameter

I posted several different pictures of the reverse because I am not sure which way is up.

CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
1061 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have said Phoenician and Tyche.....
Valued Member
United States
261 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2022  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twood89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! I agree, there does appear to be Phoenician script on the reverse
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
1061 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK no one is responding to you so let me just say, can this be anything but a galley or prow Phoenician coin? Maybe there are only two lines of text and the middle one is actually the superstructure of the ship? Like you see on Roman Republic Janus As etc. That said, there was a smaller coin that had just a rudder down the center.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3052497
Edited by louisvillekyshop
01/14/2022 10:11 pm
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
1061 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the way, has the center been gouged out around whatever is in the center? Like oddly tooled? I try to highlight what I mean below. So is the coin full of scraping marks and heaviest scraping in the center?

01/14/2022 10:24 pm
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
1061 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So Bob L knew it right away and it is the rudder after all. Thanks Bob!

https://phoeniciancoins.files.wordp.../06/kq-2.jpg

Phoenicia, Sidon 174-150 B.C

AE 17.60mm (Thickness 2.28mm), weight 3.97g, die axis = 12h (0 degrees).

Obverse: Turreted and draped bust of Tyche right, hair in chignon with curl behind, border of dots (Ram of Galley countermark in left field).

Reverse: Horizontal rudder, Pheonician legend above and below in four lines meaning "belonging to Sidonians, mother of Kambe, Hippone, Citium and Tyre"

All from: (And Bob also notes yours has the ram of Galley countermark on the obverse like the example he cites.)

https://phoeniciancoins.wordpress.c...idon/page/3/
01/15/2022 12:32 pm
Valued Member
United States
261 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twood89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Bob L.! Mystery Solved#127881;
Pillar of the Community
United States
6146 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 219Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: