Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1938 New Rochelle, NY 250th Anniversary - House Vs. Senate

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 309Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7544 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  07:29 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Note: I've written before about the Congressional path of the 1938 New Rochelle Half Dollar - see it here 1938 New Rochelle - Bills in Congress - but this post offers a specific focus on the bill that was eventually approved and resulted in the New Rochelle half dollar being struck.

The successful bill that proposed a 1938 New Rochelle, NY 250th Anniversary Half Dollar was introduced in the House of Representatives in January 1936; the bill was introduced by Representative Charles Dunsmore Millard (R-NY). It followed the format used by other commemorative coin proposals written by House members, it allowed for the coins to be struck at multiple Mint facilities, didn't require a specific date to be included on the coins and was open-ended in terms of when the coins could be requested and struck.

The bill proposed a maximum mintage of 20,000 coins.

The bill was referred to the House Committee on Coinage, Weights, and Measures. The Committee reported the bill favorably with a recommendation to increase the mintage to 25,000 and make minor wording changes to the description of/reference to the sponsor's representatives; the coin's sponsor was the Office of the Mayor, New Rochelle, NY.

The amended bill was considered by the Full House and passed without objection. (It really was an easy time for commemorative coin proposals!) Once approved, it was sent to the Senate for its consideration.

Upon its receipt in the Senate, the bill was referred to the Senate Committee on Banking and Currency. As had become "standard procedure" for the Committee, it objected to the provisions included in the House bill (see above) and recommended substituting the bill's original text with the more restrictive language it had developed for similar coin proposals. The amended version restricted mintage to a single Mint, required the coins to be dated 1936 "irrespective of the year in which they are minted or issued" and established the expiration of coining authority to be one year after the bill's enactment via the signature of the President.

The updated bill was returned to the House for its consideration. It was brought up for consideration on two separate occasions. The first time, the Senate amendment was accepted and concurred with but a challenge was raised regarding whether a proper quorum was present at the time. As a result, the bill was returned to the Speaker's table for later consideration; it came up for discussion again 10 days later with a quorum present. During the second consideration, the Senate version of the bill was passed and a new amendment was offered. The House amendment changed the minimum order size for the coins from 5,000 to 25,000 and changed to date to be included on the coins from "1936" to "1938."

The House amendments were passed without objection and the bill was referred back to the Senate for final concurrence. A motion was made in the Senate to accept the House amendments; the motion passed without objection.

The bill was enrolled and signed in each chamber, then sent to the President. Franklin Delano Roosevelt signed the bill into law on May 5, 1936.

1938 New Rochelle, NY 250th Anniversary Half Dollar

For more on the New Rochelle half dollar, check out:

- 1938 New Rochelle, NY 250th Anniversary
- 1938 New Rochelle, NY 250th Anniversary - Revisited
- 1938 New Rochelle, NY 250th Anniversary - Bills in Congress
- 1938 New Rochelle, NY 250th Anniversary - Coins Designed by a Woman Thread
- 1938 New Rochelle, NY 250th Anniversary - Coins Depicting an Agriculture Theme Thread
- 1938 New Rochelle, NY 250th Anniversary - Coins with Flora Thread

For other of my posts on commemorative coins and medals, see: Commems Collection

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67868 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gotta love those PCGS abbreviations.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
463 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Commems - I find your series, "House vs. Senate" fascinating! Thanks for the education!

Steve
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
716 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  01:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting, commems! Thanks once again.

Quote:
Gotta love those PCGS abbreviations.

I'm often baffled by these. As is often the case, there is plenty of space to spell out the full name, so I just can't understand the use of these odd abbreviations!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7544 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  06:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm often baffled by these. As is often the case, there is plenty of space to spell out the full name, so I just can't understand the use of these odd abbreviations!

At one time, the system used by PCGS to print its inserts was limited to 10 characters for the coin name field - this resulted in some odd abbreviations.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
01/17/2022 08:54 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7735 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  06:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Once again the Senate saves the day, with a later assist from the House by increasing the minimum order size to 25,000 coins.

This mini-series on House vs Senate are fascinating reads commems - really appreciate you bringing them to us.

Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7544 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Once again the Senate saves the day,,,

Indubitably!

Learn More...
United States
112406 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 309Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: