Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Faustina I.big And Small.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 311Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2558 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  4:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Picked up this big chunk of Bronze recently and thought I'd share it here... It was cheap and although quite worn still depicts a nice portrait of the Empress and I also liked the Phoenix on globe reverse...
Sestertii are quite addictive epecially when holding them in hand as they do feel very impressive!..

Diva Faustina Senior. Sestertius (32mm, 21.19 g.)
Rome mint, struck under Antoninus Pius, circa AD 146-161.
Obv. DIVA FAVSTINA draped bust right.
Rev. AETERNITAS S-C seated left, holding scepter and globe surmounted by phoenix....RICIII #1103 (Antoninus Pius)
Reddish-brown patina.
What is interesting about this coin is its Ric reference. All the 1103s I've looked at have the S C in the exergue? Any ideas?

Here are the 3 in my set at the moment..
Top Left..
Diva Faustina Sr, AR Denarius, Rome Mint, 18mm, 3.08 grams.
Ob..DIVA-FAVSTINA, draped bust right
Rev.AETER-NITAS, Aeternitas, standing front, facing left, holding globe, veil billowing out around her head and behind her....RIC#351, RSC 32, BMC 373
Top Right..
Faustina Major (138-140) Lifetime issue Denarius (2,81g, c. 16/18mm), Rome mint, 139-141 AD.
Obv.: FAVSTINA - AVGVSTA, draped bust right.
Rv.: IVNONI - REGINAE, Juno standing, facing, head left., holding patera and sceptre, peacock at feet.
RIC#338, RSC 215.

Here she is with hubby...Interestingly the reverse of the A.P Sestertius portrays their daughter as Pietas and three of their grandchildren...Pietas standing left, between Faustina Minima, Lucilla & holding baby Fadilla.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6273 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice set of Faustinas, Paul. Uh, Faustinae? I used to own a very similar looking sestertius, but don't recall if it was senior or junior.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
755 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice set of Faustinas, Paul.

I do enjoy your themed sets, Paul. It is nice to see the coins side by side for comparison.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2558 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bob and Jim.....In hand as I said these big Bronzes have quite a powerful impact as basically they feel like money!..If you get my drift?....Maybe it's just me?
I do enjoy adding different denominations of particular emperors/empresses to give some depth....It also leads you onto the Provincials which I am very interested in at the moment...Thanks again Paul
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 311Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: