Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1855 Fourpence Without The Head Of Queen Victoria?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 284Next Topic  

United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2022  5:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add natj to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I am relatively new to coin collecting so apologies if this has a simple explanation or I am missing something, and/or am not using correct terminology.

I recently acquired an 1855 fourpence from a collection which has not been touched for decades - on the reverse is Britannia along with the date and denomination as usual, however the obverse is very different to any fourpence I have seen elsewhere.

Instead of the head of Queen Victoria - as would have been expected - alongside the normal surrounding text it displays a wreath which encompasses the text "VICTORIA REGINA" (after filling in the gaps). As far as I can see, there is no trace of a monarch's head on this coin, and even if there was I can't understand why the text would be laid out horizontally on top of it.

Does anybody have any ideas? Is this coin even real?
Thank you

Obverse:

Reverse:

(I am aware the date looks like 1853, however after closer inspection with a magnifying lens and a flashlight, it does appear to be a slightly-rubbed-out 5 rather than a 3. I believe the hole at the top is due to it having been worn as a necklace or something similar by one of my ancestors).
Learn More...
United States
113520 Posts
Valued Member
United Kingdom
460 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2022  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one is described as a gaming token https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132568705225

Not unlike the 'To Hanover' gaming tokens https://www.ebay.com/itm/183423077528
Edited by JohnConduitt
02/03/2022 5:36 pm
United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2022  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add natj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 284Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: