Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection Medals: 1951 Norwalk, CT Tercentenary

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 309Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7808 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2022  1:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The 300th anniversary of Norwalk, CT was commemorated in 1951 with a two-inch bronze medal struck by the Medallic Art Company of New York on behalf of the Norwalk Historical Society.

Norwalk was incorporated as a town in 1651 (the event being commemorated by the medal), but the land for the present-day town was purchased from the local Native Americans in two segments a decade prior. In 1640, Roger Ludlow purchased land east of the Norwalk River; in 1641, Daniel Patrick, acquired land west of the Norwalk River. The first European settlers moved into the area in 1649, and continued arriving thereafter.

The obverse of the medal depicts a scene with Rodger Ludlow negotiating his land purchase with Chief Mahackemo of the Norwalke Native American tribe (a second Native American is seen kneeling to the Chief's right). The inscription "MAHACKEMO 1640 LUDLOW" encircles the figures near the rim, with "NORWALKE" presented below.

The central element of the medal's reverse is the Seal of the City of Norwalk with an uninscribed scroll below it. The commemorative dates "1651" and "1951" flank the Seal in a vertical orientation.

As per the City of Norwalk, CT ordinances:

The seal of the city shall be as follows: In a straight line across the center are the words "E Pluribus Unum," at the upper left is a bridge with water flowing thereunder, at the upper right is an old well, and underneath is a monument. Encircling the whole are the letters and figures following: "Seal of the City of Norwalk, Incorporated 1913."

The monument referred to in the code is the Roger Ludlow Monument, which was dedicated in 1895. The medal replaces the Seal's encircling text with the commemorative inscription: "NORWALK CONNECTICUT - THREE HUNDREDTH ANNIVERSARY" in a delineated outer ring.

The central feature of the reverse incorporates the seal of the city of Norwalk embossed on a shield with a flowing scroll below. The shield is flanked by the dates "1651" and "1951, " arranged vertically. The wording "THREE HUNDREDTH ANNIVERSARY NORWALK CONNECTICUT" appears around the outer edge and is separated from the central design by a relief circle.

Iniitial reports stated that 500 of the medals were struck, but left open the possibility of additional pieces. The medal's issue price was $2.75 (postage included); it was likely sold for $2.50 locally/in-person. Net proceeds from the sale of the medals were to be used toward construction of a permanent museum in Norwalk, it does not appear, however, that this objective was accomplished. (At least not in the short-term; it was decades before a permanent local museum would be established.)

I picked up my example of the medal in the early 2000s; it was in its original box. It is an "As Struck" example free of distracting impairments.

1951 Norwalk, CT 300th Anniversary Medal

Check out Commems Collection for more of my posts on commemorative coins and medals.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
69088 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2022  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting as always!
Learn More...
United States
113674 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2022  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A beautiful example and interesting background information.
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2022  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add VegasCoinDude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Medallic knows how to make a dang fine medal. Loads of information here. Thanks for the interesting read.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7808 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2022  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Loads of information here. Thanks for the interesting read.

Thanks! It's what I try to do with my posts.

If such medals are of interest, I've posted about a number of historic art medals, check out Commems Collection: Medals for more.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
04/22/2022 9:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7826 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2022  06:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Outstanding summary commems, your descriptions bring the history of these medals to life and inspire me to keep an eye out for some of them at shows.

I recently returned from funeral travel so have a lot of 'commems collection' reading to catch up on!
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
United States
385 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2022  05:25 am  Show Profile   Check Chopped Triumphs's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I learn something with every post commems, thanks for sharing.
Edited by Chopped Triumphs
04/24/2022 05:26 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7808 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2022  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@All: Thanks for the kind words and positive feedback! Much appreciated!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7808 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2022  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I'd supplement the Norfolk commemorative medal I presented above with another dip into the exonumia pool, by presenting a set of the commemorative wooden nickels that were printed for the city's anniversary celebration.

The "woods" were produced in three denominations: One, Two and Five nickels (in green, red and blue, respectively). The back of each wood has the redemption details for the souvenir pieces (though the hope was that few would be returned/redeemed as they were viewed as a fundraiser for the event!)

Note the obverse design from the medal presented on the back of each wood.

1951 Norwalk, CT Commemorative Wood - One Nickel

1951 Norwalk, CT Commemorative Wood - Two Nickels

1951 Norwalk, CT Commemorative Wood - Five Nickels

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7826 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2022  05:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are fabulous commems.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Learn More...
United States
113674 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 309Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: