Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1957 D Lincoln Cent - Grade It!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 556Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18068 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  11:18 pm Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What do you think?

Hint - Absolutely BLAZING luster and super eye appeal. You can barely see the hit on the head in hand and only at an angle. I've included extra pictures so you can see the effect based on light and angle.

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70422 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hits on hair and temple hold this to MS-65RD, I'll say.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17784 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that's a lot better than you 1962 Lincoln . MS-66RD .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12597 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad to see you posting several angles of the coin as that helps. there are quite a few minor ticks across the lettering on the reverse which is tough to find clean ones. I think this is quite typical and may only affect the grade by a + sign. the biggest marks that will affect the grade are under the hairline. there are several a little deep and in a key area. I think they keep it out of the 66 grade. the minor ticks on the shoulder would not keep it from a 66 grade and can even be seen on some 67's

I'm at MS65+RD.
Pillar of the Community
United States
758 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  06:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do any of you think that without the hits on the head and hit by the bowtie that this coin could reach ms-67?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1110 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  08:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joeturbo26 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I say 66 RD, but regardless I know that the subtle green toning on the reverse makes this coin look amazing in hand.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12597 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do any of you think that without the hits on the head and hit by the bowtie that this coin could reach ms-67?

i commented on the hits on the top of the head
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2890 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very clean and new die struck this coin. The small marks are what we say normal Mint production marks. For me it is an 66+. Very clear coin and I can easy compare with the best of my proofs, except for the mirroring.
Pillar of the Community
United States
837 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fayette1800 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I say MS-66.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18068 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I think it's a 67 with those contact marks. They aren't distracting in hand and the coin has unbelievable eye appeal - it just has that 67 look when you're holding in hand with the right light that shows the cartwheel luster. It also has some subtle toning and halo luster that adds to the eye appeal. Pictures do this coin no justice IMO.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12597 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if you look at graded 67RD's you are not going to see the rim nicks as on this coin as well as discoloration patches on the fields. could be the lighting but you second photo of the obv shows this discoloration under the chin and across "ONE CENT" reverse. add that to the top of head ticks I cant see this grading 67. I had it at 65+ and maybe on a good day it could stretch to 66 imo

i can only assess what I see in the photos
Edited by panzaldi
05/24/2022 10:57 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4660 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  01:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks 65 in the photos but perhaps nicer in hand.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 556Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: