Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: What If? 1937 Village Of Sawpit, NY Name Change

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 210Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7779 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  07:26 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Before I get started with this post, I just want to say that of all the proposals for US commemorative coins in the classic era, the one I'm about to describe is, IMO, the most unworthy of them all!

In early 1937, companion bills were introduced in Congress that called for "the coinage of 50-cent pieces in commemoration of the one-hundredth anniversary of the changing of the name of Sawpit to Village of Port Chester, New York." The House bill was introduced by Caroline Love Goodwin O'Day (D-NY) in January; the Senate bill by Royal Samuel Copeland (D-NY) in February.

The bills called for a minimum of 25,000 coins (no maximum was specified) to be struck at any/all of the US Mint facilities - three-coin P/D/S sets were in play. The bill did not specify a year/date for the coins or an expiration for when they could be struck - a multi-year program was possible. The coins were to be struck on behalf of the Ways and Means Committee of the Port Chester Centennial Committee to Celebrate the Change of Name from Sawpit to Village of Port Chester, New York. The bill did not place any ordering restrictions on the Committee, allowing one or more orders of any size to be placed at the determination of the Committee.

The city, located on the Byram River in eastern Westchester County, NY (Westchester County borders Manhattan, forming Manhattan's northern border). The original name of the town came from its most well-known local industry - boat building. In the late 1600s, when the village was being established, it was common for pits to be dug into the ground so that tall logs could be stood up in them to facilitate cutting/sawing for subsequent use in construction. In the early 1800s, local residents sought a more stately name for their village and eventually succeeded in get the New York State Legislature to change the name of the village to Port Chester in 1837 - the milestone to be commemorated by the coin.

Port Chester grew and transitioned from largely a farming community to one with a developing industrial base. Thanks to improved transportation connections with Connecticut and New York City, Port Chester continued to grow and remains viable to the present day.

The House bill was referred to its Committee on Coinage, Weights, and Measures; the Senate bill was referred to its Committee on Banking and Currency. Neither of the Committees reported their bill out for further action, and thus each died for lack of action. Had either bill advanced, I have to imagine that it would have been heavily modified to keep it in line with the Senate Committee's new policies for commemorative coin legislation.

This coin proposal was the epitome of "local-only" significance and was not worthy (IMO) of any more than it got from Congress. The history makes for a nice, interesting story, but not one that needed to be memorialized with a legal tender US half dollar.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68959 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely one that won't be missed!
Learn More...
United States
113522 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Definitely one that won't be missed!
Agreed!

Thank you for sharing. This one made me chuckle.

However, I have a small correction for you...
Quote:
The city, located on the Byram River in eastern Westchester County, NY (Westchester County borders Manhattan, forming Manhattan's northern border).
The Bronx (coextensive with Bronx County) borders Manhattan to the north (the Harlem river separates them). Westchester County is north of Bronx County.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7779 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
However, I have a small correction for you...

Yep! I referenced a NYC map that did not include "Bronx" among the boroughs indicated - I just checked it again to make sure I didn't just overlook it. So, I forgot about it when typing up the post.

I should have known better, having grown up in the NYC metro area and having been to both boroughs many times!

I will spend today thinking of a proper pennance!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
113522 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I will spend today thinking of a proper pennance!
You can always watch Hamilton on Disney+...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7779 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You can always watch Hamilton on Disney+...

I've never realized you had such a dark side...

Learn More...
United States
113522 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 210Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: