Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1898 O Morgan Dollar Grading Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 355Next Topic  

United States
21 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  08:51 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 601digs to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

Please let me know your thoughts on the grade of this one. Thanks.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
24556 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm seeing some rub on the high points. AU-58.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19851 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, AU-58, slight rubbing on hair over Lib's ear.
Otherwise, an attractive coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70350 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, AU-58 "slider" unc.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5567 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO the obverse "noise" is a bit too much for an AU-58.
I think it's more likely an AU-55.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 601digs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for your comments.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3282 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU...looks played with.

KK
Valued Member
United States
253 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericgreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pictures are a bit grainy, without the best lighting. Based on them, have to go with AU-58
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
999 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Going against the grain here, but the lustre looks good and I've seen many MS62s that look just like this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4658 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks MS to me. I'd be at 63. I think the lighting might be throwing some people off.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2067 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see vertical hairlines on both obverse and reverse. AU Details Cleaned
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12576 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at AU details cleaned also
Pillar of the Community
United States
1512 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58
Not seeing cleaning hairlines myself but pics may be hiding some details.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12576 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
had to take a second look at this one. I think the hairlines I'm seeing on the CAP and cheek are not from a cleaning but just typical banging around.

the 98(O) normally have above average strikes. this one does not reach that as the hair around the ear and breast are weaker than normal for the year. I think what appears to be some wear on the left wing is actually from strike. lighting/glare could be altering what we are seeing here though but if you see wear like this on the wing you are also going to see it on the eagle neck, breast and other high devices. these seem to have intact luster so I'm revising this one to MS63
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 355Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: