Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection Modern: 1998 Black Revolutionary War Patriots - Coin & Stamp Set

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 452Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8527 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  09:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As part of the 1998 Black Revolutionary War Patriots commemorative Silver Dollar program, the US Mint created a Coin & Stamp Set that combines a Proof version of the Silver Dollar with four mint stamps of African-Americans who had made significant contributions to American history.

The Coin & Stamp Set is directed more at the adult collector vs. the Young Collector's Set. It was one of the nicer packaging efforts by the Mint at the time - IMO, it still holds up well today. The coin and stamps are housed in a green, padded, faux leather portfolio. The Silver Dollar is mounted in a well/hole in the front cover so that both sides can be easily viewed (Obverse when the cover is closed; Reverse when the cover is opened). The four stamps are presented on the inside back panel in protective mounts. The portfolio is housed in a nicely-crafted, dark green box with detachable lid.

The four stamps included are (from left to right, top to bottom):

Benjamin Banneker: Mathematician, astronomer, surveyor and inventor - Issued in 1980 (part of Black Heritage series)
Harriet Tubman: Former Slave, "Conductor" of Underground Railroad - Issued in 1978 (part of Black Heritage series)
Frederick Douglas: Abolitionist, author and social reform leader - Issued in 1967 (part of Prominent Americans series)
Salem Poor: American Revolution Soldier - Issued in 1975 (part of Contributors to the Cause - US Bicentennial series)

The Set sold 6,645 units with a Pre-Issue price of $79.00 and a Regular Issue price of $84.00.

For more details on the silver dollar, including descriptions of its obverse and reverse, see:

- 1998 Black American Revolutionary War Patriots Silver Dollar

1998 Black American Revolutionary War Patriots Silver Dollar

1998 Black Revolutionary War Patriots - Coin & Stamp Set / Outer Box Lid

1998 Black Revolutionary War Patriots - Coin & Stamp Set / Coin Album - Front Cover

1998 Black Revolutionary War Patriots - Coin & Stamp Set / Coin Album - Inside Front Cover

1998 Black Revolutionary War Patriots - Coin & Stamp Set / Coin Album - Inside Back Cover w/ Stamps

For more of my posts about commemorative coins and medals, see: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
10/01/2022 09:38 am
Learn More...
United States
118533 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8551 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  05:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice commems - and it opened my eyes to the stamps which I did not know were produced.

Interesting (to me at least) local connection is the stamp honoring Benjamin Banneker. He and his family built their homestead in what is now Oella MD which is right across the Patapsco River from my town of Ellicott City MD.

It's a few mile stroll on an uphill path to reach the Banneker Historical Park - a hike I've made many times just for the enjoyment of the history and the walk.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 452Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: