Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Get Started ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
274 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2009  3:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add yves to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi !

Does it have a book to identify the coin ?

What is the best way to start ?

I see that ebay class roman coin in 3 categorie Imperial, provincial and Republic what is the difference to have a idea ?

I'm not the better in english... sorry for that but thanks for your help :)
Valued Member
United States
213 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2009  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paul to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, misunderstood the question. Gave a bad answer.
Edited by paul
07/07/2009 5:12 pm
Learn More...
Australia
13093 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2009  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The best "beginner" books for ancient coins are the Wayne G. Sayles "Ancient Coin Collectiong" series. There are six volumes: volume I is a general introduction to ancients, II is Greek, III is Roman, IV is Roman Provincial, V is Byzantine and VI is "Everyone Else". They don't identify every possible coin you might find, and they don't give catalogue values, but they're an excellent introduction to ancients.

The only readily available "catalogues of ancient coins" are the books put out by David Sear, published by Spink. They're made in Britain, and rather expensive for the beginner. There are currently four volumes of roman, two of Greek, one (woefully inadequate) Roman Provincial and one Byzantine. I heartily recommend them, if you can afford them. The Roman catalogue used to be published in just one volume; if you can find a second-hand copy of one of these earlier editions, that's usually adequate for beginners.

As for definitions: While Rome at its greatest was always technically a "republic" in the sense that it had no king, it's coinage is historically divided into three periods: the "Republic" up to about 55 BC, where coinage was struck in the name of the civilian Consuls. From 55 BC to 27 BC the coinage is considered "Imperatorial" and was struck in the name of the various warlords and generals. From 27 BC to 498 AD, it is considered "Imperial". After 498 AD the coins are considered "Byzantine".

"Roman Provincial" coins are coins struck in the name of and for use in a provincial city, rather than for the Empire as a whole. In Roman times, for a city to be given permission to strike it's own coins was a symbol of prestige and a sign of Imperial favour. These provincial coins are often more crudely made than regular Roman coins, and the language on them is often Greek rather than Latin.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1009 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2009  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nuggethill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With Sap though there was a book you can buy from FORVM ROMAN COINS,It's called "The Handbook of ROMAN IMPERIAL COINS" by David Van Meter also it covers from 27 B.C. to 498 A.D.It's not as pricey as Sears books and still gives you enough information on the coins though it does have a few gaps here and there It's still not a bad book to buy,anything out side of these dates I have posted you'll have to buy Sears.
regards

Valued Member
Canada
274 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2009  01:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yves to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi !

Thanks for the help

I just want to start a little collection because I find amaizing to have coin's of this age.

I see few book on ebay but nothing under 50$. I'm not looking to buy expensive coin and it's just to have fun.

But to have fun I think that it's necessary to have the information of the coin and I idea of the price. Like I can have on any recent issue with a standard catalogue. When I buy coin's and want to know what is it, if I can identify them it's more fun.

Like I tell I see some book on ebay but I can not open them of course, I don't know what kind of informartion it contain.

I hope that I enough clearly , if not just tell me I will try to make better with my english lol

If you can identify the better book for me I appreciate or does it have a site on the web ?

THanks a lot again for your time
Valued Member
Canada
274 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2009  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yves to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi !

Anyone have other information to start a little collection in the right direction ?

Thanks !
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05