Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ancient Chinese Coin ID Help please.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2009  5:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mainecoincoll to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Bought this coin a few days ago on ebay. Had it shipped from China. I have no clue what kind it is, what year it is or what the denomination is. Please help me indentify it.

Edited by Mainecoincoll
09/15/2009 5:17 pm
Learn More...
United States
22338 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2009  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's real it is a 10 cash coin from circa 1201-1208, inscription is Tai-Ho Chung Pao in seal script. It looks OK.
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2009  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tenacious to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also written as Tai He Zhong Bao, 10 cash, The calligraphic style is called jade tendon seal script.
Jin Dynasty 1115-1234 AD.
Your coin, if real, 1201-1209.

You have the obverse picture upside down. And I would like to see the obv pic as big as the reverse you posted. The obv pic is too small to tell anything. But the reverse metal, shape and patina looks OK to me. But, even though I have some experience with these, I am not an expert. And it could be a good fake. Can you post a larger pic of the obverse?

If you bought this without knowing what it was, then you may have been really lucky. (And you should go out and buy a lottery ticket right now. ) This specific coin is faked very often. You will find many more fakes than real coins of this type on eBay. From what I have seen on eBay, the fakes greatly out number the real ones which are rarely offered on eBay.

If people think the Chinese are making a lot of fakes of US coins, you should see how much they are doing it with their own Chinese coins. And Chinese coins of this age are cast coins as opposed to struck coins. It's much easier to make convincing cast fakes of coins that are already casts to begin with.

Here's one of mine and also from eBay:

Edited by tenacious
09/27/2009 11:16 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05