Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Guess The Price - Season 9 - Winner: Moe145

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30
Learn More...
United States
74775 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2010  11:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Welcome to SEASON NINE!

The Contest: Guess the price of a recently acquired, auctioned, or purchased coin.
The Prize: BRAGGIN' RIGHTS!
Season 1 Champion: CoinHunter53562 (View it here).
Season 2 Champion: trdhrdr007 (View it here).
Season 3 Champion: COINAHOLIC (View it here).
Season 4 Champion: trdhrdr007 (View it here).
Season 5 Champion: nod2003 (View it here).
Season 6 Champion: yotie (View it here).
Season 7 Champion: nod2003 (View it here).
Season 8 Champion: murty (View it here).
Season 9 Champion: Moe145

The Rules:
  • Post guess in whole dollar increments. Final prices will not include shipping or other fees.
  • Only the first person to guess a specific value will be counted. Repeat guesses for the same value will not count, so PAY ATTENTION! There will be no ties during the rounds!
  • One guess per person per round. If your guess is a duplicate, you will be given a chance to correct it; anyone can post a warning to the player and they will have until the round finishes to correct it.
  • Unless you posted a duplicate guess, there will be no editing guess posts. If you edit your post, please include a comment why you edited it. Otherwise, edited posts will not count.
  • Minimum round duration: Each round requires eight different participant guesses or three days, whichever comes first.
  • There will be ten rounds. In the event of a tie, there will be playoff round. I will host the first, final, and any playoff rounds.
  • The winner of the round must host the next round. They can choose any coin they want, but must follow these guidelines:
    • No finished auctions (eBay, Heritage, etc.) can be the basis for any round.
    • If an auction is used, the round must end at least one hour before the auction does.
    • If the coin is from a personal purchase, please round your final price to the nearest whole dollar.
    • If you cannot remember the exact price paid, please use your best guess and establish this price (to yourself) before hosting the round.
    • For personal coins that were not purchased recently, please give an approximate time frame the coin was purchased (earlier this year, ten years ago, etc.)
    • Specifying that where the coin was sold (auction, personal purchase, yard sale, estate sale, etc.) is NOT required!
    • New Rule: All rounds must end during what I call "US National Business Hours" or 8AM to 8PM Eastern (Forum) Time. Results can come anytime after that. In other words, the auction can end at midnight, but the deadline for guesses should be no later than the 8PM EST before that midnight.
    The Points:
  • The person getting the closest will receive 20 points.
  • The four people getting the next closest guesses will receive 10 points.
  • There is no The Price is Right "must not go over" rule!
  • Each other person that gives a unique guess will get 5 points, those that duplicate or unjustifiably edit a guess will get no points.
  • The winner of the round must host the next round and will receive 5 points for doing so. If they cannot host the next round, any volunteer that does so will receive 10 points.

Season 9 Final Results
Moe145             95
murty              90
nod2003            80
Podoprigora        80
wheatguy           80
pls                70
chris1222nascar    65
COINAHOLIC         65
SHAFTA9a           65
steve199           65
Agosos             60
eaglefoot          60
afcop13            55
DL20K              55
wheezydog          55
coinsrfun          50
novillero          35
cownas22           25
Jason11006         25
kena               25
lafaa123           20
lilaznkev1n        20
coinyoungsta       15
aladinslamp        10
coindexter         10
trdhrdr007         10
Jamez               5
Siuol               5
youngfee101         5
Pillar of the Community
United States
1880 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2010  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add steve199 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool...been gone for a few months, but would like to play again.
Learn More...
United States
74775 Posts
Valued Member
Australia
126 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2010  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lilaznkev1n to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still interested.
Learn More...
United States
74775 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2010  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay people, I plan to start this tomorrow.

I was contemplating some rule changes.

If there is anything on your mind, speak now!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1880 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2010  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add steve199 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If there is anything on your mind, speak now!

Anything at all? Rename this the free-for-all thread.

Learn More...
United States
74775 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2010  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Uh, no.

Obviously (I hope), I meant with regards to the GTP contest.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1299 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2010  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Check murty's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add murty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the prior round winner should get ten points bonus to start!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
693 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2010  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsrfun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
no active auctions must own the coin? just a thot....murty.....ahhhhhhh.......nope
Learn More...
United States
74775 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2010  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
no active auctions must own the coin?
Originally this contest was only auctions, but later expanded to include any coin the participant migh have. The auctions are a good wild card when done properly.

My concern is that some participants might not have anything they would feel comfortable sharing.

Any other comments on this idea?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6325 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2010  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the rules as they are.....but if there was an occaisional opportunity for the "lower" to "middle" folks to get some "bonus points".....that'd be neat ! Something that would give 70% of the competitors a chance to win, still right up until the end ! .....
Learn More...
United States
74775 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2010  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do miss the bonus point opportunities. Would anyone complain if I brought them back?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1880 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2010  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add steve199 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Any other comments on this idea?

If I were to win a round, auctions would certainly be something I'd be looking as an option for the next round.

( edit )
And others obviously feel the same way, because they use auctions. It probably keeps the game moving faster. I'd have to decide on a coin, then setup and take pictures. Of course I could be more prepared. :)

Edited by steve199
01/21/2010 12:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
Poland
3201 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2010  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DL20K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I do miss the bonus point opportunities. Would anyone complain if I brought them back?

I wouldn't. Provided they'd be for 1-3 pts
Pillar of the Community
United States
6325 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2010  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if "1-3 points" would be enough to bring the "lower to middle point" competitors back into the game though.
If you're 35 points back....and you win a "bonus opportunity" for 2 points.......doesn't really do you any good. IMO, the "bonus points" should be enough to give the chance to "most of the field" to fashion their own comeback for contention at any point in the game. Maybe have only certain "point levels" be the only ones eligible too....otherwise we run the risk of somebody or a group of sombody's could attain an even higher more unsurmountable lead ! (this may not be fair to those who are doing well though....dunno)
And JB's creativeness would/will/has been shown in such a way that, indeed, everyone of any level of knowledge with numismatics could take advantage of it. And even something as simple as "paying attention".....or being quick !......whatever !
Again.....just in my opinion.
Edited by eaglefoot
01/21/2010 1:30 pm
Learn More...
United States
74775 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2010  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The bonus would probably be for five or ten points but no more. I do not want to take away from the significance of winning the round (twenty points), but want to make it worthwhile. I might settle on five points , since that would give them ten points total like a runner-up.
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05