Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1942 Walking Liberty Proof or Tampering  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2900 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  4:15 pm Show Profile   Check paleoguy45's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just got in this 1942 Walking Liberty and it certainly has a mirror finish to it. Problem is, I don't see the definition on Liberty's head or the eagles chest that I would expect from a proof coin. I've never seen a Liberty proof however. Could someone help me out on this one? Thanks!

"Life's a journey - not a destination" ~ Aerosmith

Member: SSDC, NGC, PCGS, ANACS, SEGS
Pillar of the Community
United States
3554 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO polished
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2437 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parklane64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And a nice job.
I would also collect chocolate coins, except for that one problem.

ANA # 3189614
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pinenut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not an expert, just reiterating advice I've heard a few times on this forum.
1. Luster and wear should be matched. Meaning if it really really bright then it shouldn't have less than AU wear.
2. The interwebs are full of great pics to grade by http://www.PCGS.com/photograde/#/Walker/Grades

Proofs are a mystery to me so I stay away for the most part. I think that a number of early proof have small but significant markers that can clue you in to the true nature of the coin (i.e. proof or touched up business strike).

I personally think your coin looks electroplated. That's my opinion.
Pillar of the Community
United States
560 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RPT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it slabbed?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2900 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Check paleoguy45's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not slabbed - it's in the airtight holder shown and was in a "velveteen" case.
"Life's a journey - not a destination" ~ Aerosmith

Member: SSDC, NGC, PCGS, ANACS, SEGS
Pillar of the Community
United States
3429 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice whizzer. I think the only thing untouched is the date.
Learn More...
United States
23295 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep that coin, and those pics, handy. It's a perfect example of polishing represented by pictures ideal for describing what a polished coin looks like.

Thank Goodness it's only an XF-AU common-date Walker.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2150 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2010  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jokingjoker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think plating too
Pillar of the Community
United States
3072 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2010  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes very over polished, and as joker say's it might be plated...someone really took some time to work that one over!! maybe there's a place on this site where pictures of things like this can be saved and compared too?
Learn More...
United States
23295 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2010  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think plating too

You know, I hadn't even considered the possibility, and possibility it is. It seems to me that there's a slight area nearest the rim where the polishing wheel didn't (or couldn't) reach, but plating should remain on the list of potential reasons.
Learn More...
United States
20304 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2010  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say it looks more plated than polished.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20276 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2010  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1304 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2010  02:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add busthalf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm leaning more towards plating to.
Valued Member
United States
321 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2010  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mattbrowning7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what does electroplating mean? I've never heard of it
Pillar of the Community
United States
3072 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2010  12:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
electroplating is a means by which another metal is transfered onto another piece of metal...the subject coin.. most chrome parts are done that way..and you have heard of silverplating, copper bowls and such to make them look like solid silver....
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05