Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2005 weak strike? 1963 double hanging 3  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
52 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  9:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bernitz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
hi I found these 2 while roll searching and I am looking for more information on what happened on the left stem on this 2005.
and on the second one, is double hanging 3 a commun variety?
And what happens in the minting process to make a hanging or double hanging.
I am doing my best to take the best pictures I can since I dont have a scanner.
Thank you for your knowledge and patience since I'm still new and willing to learn.

Valued Member
Canada
200 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pennylover1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That 2005 is impressive. Can you get a picture out of the 2X2?
The hanging 3 is a die clash (chin and neck of obverse)
The dies clashed together without a planchet between them and the reverse die now has an imprint of a portion of the obverse die
Valued Member
Canada
52 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bernitz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you penny very interesting.
give me 5 min I will get the picture out of the 2X2

these errors are so interesting so much to learn.
Valued Member
Canada
52 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bernitz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here is pic out of the 2X2

Valued Member
Canada
200 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pennylover1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a better photo. Hopefully someone with more experience will comment. Possibly a filled die or struck through grease? Nice find!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any chance of reposting that second picture without resizing it so small or reducing the quality so much? I'd like to see the surface more cleanly and there's not enough pixels in that picture to work with. feel pree to post at photobucket or something if need be. The native camera file would even be best.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1161 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladhunter13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 2005 looks like a strike through...probably grease, maybe oil or lubricant. Wait for the experts to chime in though. The double hanger is a nice find. I pulled my first 2 single hangers earlier this week. Haven't found a double or a triple hanger yet.

I will be posting pics of what I pulled out of the last 3 boxes I just finished today. I will never sort 3 boxes of 1 cent rolls at a time again. Having 7500 cents sitting on your desk waiting for inspection...can be a bit overwhelming. LOL!

I did manage some nice finds though.

Valued Member
Canada
52 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bernitz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2010  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also look more closely at the ADA in Canada.

Outline of a strike seems to be there, I'd likely think it was grease as well.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2010  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here's the ADA

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05