Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1946 Isabel II Gold (2 Dollars) Spain-Philippines

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Philippines
386 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2010  06:08 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Pandesalapi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This coin that I would like to show is an Isabel II gold coin 2D (2 dollars) dated 1946, 4th of July. I have no other info on this token but I guess this token is a gift from the Spanish government to the Philippines after America liberated us from the Japanese forces during World War 2. Julio 4, 1946 as its date maybe to signify also the Philippine-American frienship day that is the same date as America's Independence Day.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2448 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2010  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carmykle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Beautiful coin! I wish I had run it to those while I was there in "68". I brought a number of coins home but none as nice as that. I wish I could find them; probably lost in a move. Thank you for sharing.
Edited by carmykle
08/22/2010 12:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
689 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2010  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jakeW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great looking coin, I love the pillar design on the reverse!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4869 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2010  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In Colin Bruces' "Unusual World Coins" there is a similar item under the Philippines. It is the only entry under "Token Coinage". It is X#Tn1 using the same design as yours but the indication is that it is dated 1846 not 1946. It is gold 1.850 grams and 15 mm. The book lists a value of $85 in XF with no other comments about origin.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
Valued Member
Philippines
386 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2010  06:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pandesalapi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In Colin Bruces' "Unusual World Coins" there is a similar item under the Philippines

If the Design of the obverse looks the same, maybe the date of 1846 instead of 1946 was a typographical error in the book. We may notice the looks of Queen Isabel II during 1849 and the precendent years is far different from the first issue of 1861 coins.
We may also see the 2D (letter "D" that indicates dollar sign)
What I am confused is the 4th of July commemoration of what incident.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EELIV to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely the X#Tn1 made in 1946, gold 1.85 g., 15mm
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChipDehart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
July 4, 1946 is the date on which the United States granted full independence to the Philippines.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05