Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is There A 2008 Non-magnetic Cent?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Canada
51 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2010  10:19 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add larryt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I would really like to close the book on this locally home brewed disagreement. I have received 2 yes's and two no's from local collectors. I can't find anything on the internet, CCN trends, or Charlton's' that says they were 'produced' in any form. Opinions please?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
Canada
686 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2010  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jg86 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 2008 Annual Report says that all 820.35 million pennies produced were made of copper-plated steel. There were no copper-plated zincs produced in 2008, according to the Mint. Since steel is magnetic, there shouldn't be any non-magnetic (zinc) cents from 2008.
Valued Member
Canada
186 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2010  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add timotay01 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was sure I had seen one on ebay, after seeing this post I searched again, and voila item 220666175334.
I bought one, when it comes I'll let you know if it really is non-magnetic.
Valued Member
Canada
51 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2010  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add larryt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
timotay01 - thanks for that. This should be interesting as I contacted the seller and he guaranteed it was 100% non-magnetic, so I bought the last one he had. As a side note I had emailed a differ seller last week and asked him to verify if a Canada one cent he was selling was genuinely 'magnetic'. He said it was because it didn't stick to the side of his fridge. ? I didn't bid on it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3661 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2010  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ larry: LOOOOOL I guess he's telling the truth, though, you gotta give him that at least. None of my coins stick to my fridge, either!
Valued Member
Canada
186 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2010  06:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add timotay01 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well that item was short lived the seller refunded me and said it actually was magnetic, 'his magnet mustve been broke'. If I recall the other one I seen a few months back sold for around $40 and tat seller said he got it from a set
Valued Member
Canada
51 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2010  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add larryt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, this morning I was notified of a cancelled transcation and given a full refund as well - reason: malfunctioning magnet. The seller did use due diligence and at least checked it a second time before shipping. I would probably deal with him again should the situation arise.
Valued Member
Canada
51 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2010  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add larryt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Forgot to add that at this point I would say that jg86so is right - NO 2008 magnetic one cent coins. Should anyone come across a real one please post and if anyone should come across one on the internet ask the seller to double check his magnet.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
838 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2010  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bibd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
'his magnet mustve been broke'

I guess what he really meant is that his E-Bay listing was 'broke'!

By the way, I appreciate you two making the attempt at digging into this -- I almost bought a couple 2008 sets to try and find this elusive cent. But now I'm back to believing it doesn't exist.
Edited by bibd
09/09/2010 3:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3661 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2010  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can't just break a magnet. The most you can do is weaken it by dropping it. Makes me want to throw the physics book at him.
Valued Member
Canada
186 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2011  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add timotay01 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just found this listing which has some info about 2008 non-magnetic
http://cgi.ebay.com/120744680623
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
3352 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2011  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
copper isn't magnetic => therefore all of the "proof pennies" are non-magnetic ... hey, I'm not a phsyicist, but I do know that copper isn't magnetic (embarrassingly, I went and found my magnet and verified this with one of my proof sets .... oh, and then I stuck the magnetic to my fridge, just be safe) ... for the record, the only coin in the proof sets that is magnetic is the good ol' loonie (oh, but "no", the loonie did "not" stick to my fridge) ...
;)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
3352 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2011  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
apparently it's spelt "physicist" .........
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
3352 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2011  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just checking to see if I have correctly attached an avatar ... bare with me
Learn More...
Canada
8400 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2011  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No 2008 non-magnetic 1c coins were struck. Most of the 2007 non-magnetic coins were struck very early in the 2007 mintage, most of those ended up in NHL hockey sets, and rarely in mint rolls. If a 2008 non-magnetic cent (non-proof) exists, I have yet to hear about it...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
717 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2011  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BUT... if there is a non-magnetic cent in the 2008 proof set, then there IS a 2008 non-magnetic cent, yes? So, the answer to the original question is, YES!, it does exist.

Les
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05