Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is There A 2008 Non-magnetic Cent?

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
3352 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2011  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
correct ... there is a non-magnetic cent for "every" year since they started making the Canadian silver proof sets in 1996
Valued Member
United States
167 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2013  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gilgerr24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just got these today. They are all proof and NON-Magnetic. Just like mentioned eariler in this topic. Were not made for circulation but will be going into my book as Non-Mag, because copper isn't magnetic. Thought I would share. Rob

Valued Member
United States
167 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2013  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gilgerr24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just got these today. They are all proof and NON-Magnetic. Just like mentioned eariler in this topic. Were not made for circulation but will be going into my book as Non-Mag, because copper isn't magnetic. Thought I would share. Rob

Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2014  02:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swabiwal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are at least 60,000 non magnetic 2008 pennies as I think and why is that?
There are 60,000 double dollar proof sets of 2008 minted by Royal Canadian Mint all of which I believe has the copper proof penny which is obviously non magnetic.I have a couple dozens and a dozen or so proof sets mentioned.This is just the story of proof sets,there maybe more from the mint but the mint guys who are paid lavish benefits and pay don't bother to issue updated numbers and statistics.
Canada
4 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2016  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atony to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sorry to say this guys but 2008 pennies were no only issued in proof sets I got 1 that I found in circulation I say about a MS65 condition found this after searching through my rolls I got 8 rolls and they are all magnetic and I got lucky and found 1 -2008 non magnetic and it come from circulation because I rolled these rolls myself
Canada
36 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2016  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hjnong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow...! Any picture? Thanks!
Valued Member
Canada
224 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2016  05:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mike9999999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was that really worth bringing up a 6 year old thread?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
609 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2016  05:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wilsonwu89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
^ Um yes.

I'd be interested in seeing a video of a non-magnetic 2008 Circulation Penny.

As of now, none have been found.

-----

Unless it's just a Proof coin that you happened to find in circulation. Then that's not that special lol
Edited by wilsonwu89
12/05/2016 05:29 am
Valued Member
Canada
224 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2016  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mike9999999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
may as well have started a new thread.

this one should rest in pepperoni
Valued Member
Canada
413 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2016  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add unruhjonny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
interesting... I figured that this penny didn't exist either.
I rolled, and gone through many rolls worth of 2008 pennies, and never found one.
Then again, I have also never found a 1985-pointed five, 2005-P/zinc, 2006-P*, 2006-P/zinc, 2007-zinc, or 2010-steel*

* = I honestly had hoped to find one of these.... for the other ones, I wasn't going to hold my breath.

I agree that it was fine to bring up an old thread.
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2018  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cuzimcute00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The magnetic ones have the crown mint mark. The non-magnetic ones have a "p" mint mark. And one guy claims to have a bunch that have the wrong mint mark, but are magnetic... here's the link I found for it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hami...00-1.1380742
Pillar of the Community
Canada
636 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2018  12:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link,I remember the story,but Ithought it was 2006p non mag.
Thats the one I'm looking for .
Valued Member
Canada
413 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2019  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add unruhjonny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
since this thread had been brought back twice from a twelve month-plus slumber, I see no problem bringing it back after a couple months (due to my inactivity here);

Quote:
The magnetic ones have the crown mint mark. The non-magnetic ones have a "p" mint mark. And one guy claims to have a bunch that have the wrong mint mark, but are magnetic... here's the link I found for it.

I am sorry but you are in error (punn intended);
up to about midway through the 2006 mintage run, the zinc coins had no mint mark, while the plated steel coins had a 'P' mint mark;
About midway through the 2006 mintage run, all coins started using the RCM logo where the 'P' was previously seen on plated steel coins;
For the first half of the 2006 mintage of pennies, there were some zinc blanks that got mixed into the steel blanks - so some 2006 "non-magnetic" zinc core pennies have a 'P' mint mark;
There were also some zinc blanks that got mixed in with the steel blanks.

What I found rather exciting about the 2006 pennies, was that there were four official variations on the coin - and two unintended error variations:
1) zinc core, no mint mark
2) steel core, 'P' mint mark; very low mintage
3) RCM logo, zinc core
4) RCM logo, steel core
5) steel core, no mint mark; error coin; rare
6) zinc core, 'P' mint mark; error coin; exceptionally rare.

I have examples of what I numbered as #1 through #5;
I do not have a #6 penny.

I also never made a spot for a 2008 zinc core penny in my book, as I understood from this thread that the coin was exceptionally rare...

Edit:
After reading the linked story, I can't help but wonder if the errors were because the dies were changed out before the correct blanks were used up - this is what I previously assumed, but changed my "song" after several sources which I assumed to be reputable, said that it was a matter of the blanks getting mixed up.
Edited by unruhjonny
01/07/2019 2:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1524 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
gilgerr24 here is some information for you. the picture you are posting has it own variety. check 2007 penny you need to find this coins big brother. which matches the rest of the coins you have up here. remember the one you have is the money coin. congrates on your find
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1659 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add samsnate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Forgive me, haven't spent a lot of time with errors really but my interest was peaked a bit here. What are you pointing too? I'm trying to notice the difference between that one coin and the other three but I can't see it. We'll call it rookie eyes. Thanks!
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05