Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin rotated in PCGS holder

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
787 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2010  12:57 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add spaceace to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just curious...I bought a PCGS certified 2009 Lincoln cent (satin finish, boyhood home) and it was rotated almost exactly 90 degrees in the slab. Everything else is fine with the labelling and the slab itself, the coin doesn't move or rattle or anything, it was just rotated when it was slabbed. I don't buy many slabbed coins (it was only $4 so I thought it would be interesting to have) so I was curious as to how often this happens and was it simply that somebody wasn't paying attention when they slabbed it? Obviously a coin of this low value isn't that big of a deal, but I would think that a company like PCGS would have better quality control. Makes for a unique slab though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2119 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2010  05:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chris12018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would contact them to have it redone.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17099 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2010  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just turn the slab 90 degrees and all will look OK.
Thinking about this more I wonder if in the future that would make that slab more valuable as sort of a TPGS error.
just carl
Edited by just carl
11/14/2010 10:24 am
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2010  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know how it would work with a small coin like a Lincoln cent but I have had Morgans turn in the slab like that and all you have to do is tap the slab on the corner and it will turn back around. The insert on PCGS slabs are not made to the plastic shell, they will turn in the slab if they are vibrated or jarred
Pillar of the Community
United States
787 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2010  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add spaceace to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried tapping on a table but it won't shift. Not really a big deal, kind of a cool oddity though.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17099 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2010  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tapping a slabbed coin is not the smartest thing to do. For one thing you could crack it. Or dent it. Or just scratch it. Then too that is what might happen to the coin inside too. To many possible things to go wrong tapping, puching, throwing, etc. a slabbed coin.
As I said I'd keep it as is since all this stuff about error coins has become such a booming hobby, that too might become a slab of value.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4894 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2010  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thinking about this more I wonder if in the future that would make that slab more valuable as sort of a TPGS error.

I have seen people try to sell banknotes that have " TPG error's..." I have never seen one sell though.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
17099 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2010  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have seen people try to sell banknotes that have " TPG error's..." I have never seen one sell though.

Possibly true today but who knows about collector crazes in the future. I'm sure not to long ago no one thought to much about coins that looked like they were doubled either.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14584 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2010  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I tried tapping on a table but it won't shift.

It will work but it takes some pretty hard "taps". Usually you would do it on something like a phone book to make sure you don't crack the slab.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
3591 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2010  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Maineman750 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking that vibration would probably be a way to turn it.In my case, I have a brass cartridge tumbler that would probably do it, but you might experiment and see what you can come up with.
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2010  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Tapping a slabbed coin is not the smartest thing to do.

I have done it many times and never cracked one open. I don't mean put it against something and beat it with a hammer, just tap it on the corner, you could put something soft on the table to tap it on but it will turn, may not be the correct way you want it to turn at first but if thats the case tap it on the other corner
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17099 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2010  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have done it many times and never cracked one open. I don't mean put it against something and beat it with a hammer

True might not crack the slab open but there is always that first time. I wasn't referring to the slab, but the coin itself. Your playing around with a high graded coin so why take chances messing it up.
Now if you want to try the vibration method, try a paint store where they have those vibration mixers for gallons of paint. Place your slab on those and let it get vibrated.
Or leave well enough alone.

just carl
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2010  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just found this on ebay guides and it may help you out http://reviews.ebay.com/FIXING-ROTA...000018389809
Pillar of the Community
United States
880 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2010  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lukkyseven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are some video's out there. I found them when I was looking for the best way to crack open a PCGS slab. Which by the way, is not easy to do. I don't think that tapping the slab is going to mess it up a lot. It took me about 3 slabs to find the right spot to hit with a hammer to get them to pop open (which for me, was the corner away from the coin).
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05