Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Advice on war coins  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
94 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2010  12:51 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NickleHalfDime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In only ten posts I've managed to create two topics in this forum. Sorry for the clutter!

A good friend of mine asked me for a gift idea for her little brother. He's still in highschool and is beginning to develop interest in coin collecting. He and his sister already have a nice little catalog of circulated pennies from the 1950's until now.

She wants to get him a gift and was hoping it could be something coin related to build the rest of his collection upon. She said he loves reading up on the two world wars and thought maybe something related to war would be nice.

Naturally she asked me for help but I'm still new at this so I thought maybe you guys could help.

My first thought went toward getting a 1943 Victory nickel but that's really as far as my ideas go.

I should also add that this isn't restricted to circulation coins. She was interested in hearing if the mint had any NCLT products that dealt with WWI or WWII but I'm not sure about that.

I'm also not sure what her budget is so if you guys have any ideas just shoot and she can decide what she can afford.

You guys have always been really helpful with your replies thus far so I look forward to see what you can come up with! :-)
Pillar of the Community
United States
843 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2010  01:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaymon74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started out collecting coins in Junior high. I was and still am fond of the war time Jefferson nickels. ( the ones with the P above the Monticello ) You can find them virtually anywhere. I recently bought each year in MS-60 for $3.00 each at a flea market! ( with the exception of the 1943/2P ) The cool thing is I still find them in pocket change every once in a while!
Hope that gives you an idea
Valued Member
Canada
287 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2010  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rikcando to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are referring to Canadian coins I would definitely recommend starting out with the tombac nickels of 1942/3 and the chrome nickels of 1944/5. Be sure to note the Morse code used as denticles to him. They are not very expensive in mint state and should be able to pick up all 4 for less than $25.
Valued Member
Canada
287 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2010  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rikcando to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another very inexpensive item that he may find a rather interesting would be a meat token. They were used for rationing in Canada and can be picked up for a couple bucks or less depending on the condition. I remember when I first saw one it sparked an interest and I spent a few hours researching the rationing that was endured during the period.
Edited by rikcando
12/17/2010 09:43 am
Valued Member
Canada
55 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2010  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biggrassboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would get the 2005 VE DAY 60th anniversary set. It comes in a metal holder, has about a 20 page booklet with photos and a summary of the events leading to VE Day, a Silver Dollar sized medallion in bronze and a special 1945-2005 Victory nickel with proof finish. They can be had on eBay for about $20, but here's a link to one that shows the set nicely, but they want too much. I'm not much of mint product fan, but this set is nice and at a nice price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-RCM-60th-A...em4cf24b8b3a

Valued Member
Canada
94 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2010  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NickleHalfDime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I knew I could count on you guys! She likes the idea and I think she's going to try and get him the Victory nickels from the 1940's AND the 60th anniversary one to go along with it!

Jaymon: She said her brother likes to focus on Canadian coins but I have a few American coins myself so I might look out for those for just for me. :)

Now I'm going to have fun helping her find them for him... teehee
Pillar of the Community
United States
843 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2010  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaymon74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I noticed you were from Canada right after posting. I realized then that you weren't talking about American coins. Sorry bout that.

I'm into collecting world coins which includes Canadian coins. I have my three favorite ones shown on the topic of "How many Americans collect Canadian coins?".

So are American coins fairly easy to come by there in Canada? I mainly find Canadian pennies and dimes in change. Some quarters here and there. Most of my Canadian coins come from dealers though. I did get quite a few from my trip to Niagara Falls.

Well, I hope your friends little brother got some cool coins!

Valued Member
Canada
94 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2010  03:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NickleHalfDime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find American change all the time, it's very common over here. We're not too far from the border (I'm in Montreal) and American tourists, especially 18 year old's coming up for a drink :P, are common enough that I'm not surprised I find so much American change.

Thanks again for your help though!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
864 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2011  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dottir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting thread! It tweaked my own interests re that kind of history and coins so I just had to read it :) I like history, researching relatives who served in past wars got me extra interested in coins, and paper to a lesser degree, from those times too. Combining coins from history with events of those times is a very cool way to open things up to learning about both the coins and that military history as you go. All very educational for younger generations and its great to hear about young people caring enough to learn and collect. A FUN way too!!

I received my first Tombac nickel, 1943, for Christmas. A year so many of my Uncles were off in Europe training for D-Day and when I see war years coins, I always "remember" them and the history, and people waiting for them at home using those coins I guess I'm a bit surprized at how inexpensive these coins are to get, considering their historic significance

Anyways, good luck with helping your friends son/kids build on their collection and knowledge!

Valued Member
Canada
311 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2011  11:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add soccerdad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another nice idea non coin related, is to go to a stamp shop. There are beautiful sets of stamps that commemorate Canada's involvement in the wars. Many coin collectors also collect coins. These can go with your set of victory nickels to make a wonderful gift.
Valued Member
Canada
75 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2011  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flipcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
go to a post office near by they usually have great coins their to buy.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05