Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Rare £20 Error Note ~ ***has Anyone Seen Another?***

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 9,150Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1799 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2011  12:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Broken-Coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Again,
Here is a Bank of England £20 Error Note I purchased from the person who had received the error from his local ATM... This is one of those moments where you had to be there at the right place at the right time...
It was around 3AM the first week of March 2006 ☼ I was viewing eBay global sites for errors that are not posted on the eBay USA site... I was on the eBay/United Kingdom site browsing items in the catagory of "Queen Elizabeth II" when I came accross this note... The seller mentioned that he had no knowledge of mistakes on money and just received this odd looking £20 note from his ATM and wanted to see how much money it was worth (this was true as he had listed it in the wrong catagory with a 3 day listing and no mention of it being a error)... Just prior to auctions end, I was able to contact him via eBay's contact seller option and request all the information on the history of the note from when he received it, I also mentioned there was a excellent chance that I would be the high bidder (he didn't know I was located outside of Europe till the end of the auction)... The seller received this note about a week prior to posting on eBay (late Feb.2006) at a Automatic Teller Machine (ATM) located outside the Exetar Road Post Office, 49 Exeter Road, Petersborough, Cambridgeshire England PE1 3QA ...

After receiving this note, I was excited to find that a third set of serial numbers had been printed over the Inspectors Rejection Marks, showing that this sheet of rejected notes somehow entered the production line after being removed (the light wrinkles from rapid removal not only proves it was removed, it also lowered the grade to a A/U50)...
I contacted the Bank of England for additional information on this note, and after receiving their reply, I forwarded their reply with a high resolution photo to Coin World and found this note published on page 64 in their Feb.23,2009 issue of Coin World...
The Bank of England says that there are 39 similar pieces as this was a 40 subject sheet. I have searched the internet for four plus years now trying to locate a second example from this sheet, all to no avail and would request that anyone who's found a second example to please post a photo and where they received it...

☼ I believe if you click on the news article below, it will enlarge the article enough to be able to read it ☼

☼ below is a link to a rare web press note error posted in another forum here ☼
http://goccf.com/t/83472

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1166 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2011  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ikandiggit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seeing that just makes me drool!

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1166 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2011  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ikandiggit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your note is spectacular!

I have a Canadian $10 Journey note that so far is unique also. There is a potential for another 44 notes (our press is 9x5) yet this is the only example to have surfaced. I've been offered $350 at the low end by a dealer and up to $5,000 from a couple of collectors. Being a collector myself, it's really hard to part with.

My note has an inverted serial number. I found it at work while doing the deposit:

Pillar of the Community
United States
1285 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2011  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ceylon62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a neat error note and having it featured in an article adds to the value.

ikan, nice on the inverted as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1799 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2011  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Broken-Coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FYI - World Paper Money Errors by Morland C. Fischer (I received this book last week) shows a Canada $5.00 Inverted back (same as the $10.00 Note above) on the cover, page #35 list this as a FEN 7 on a FEN 1 to 8 scale, with 8 being the rarest... FEN = Foreign Error Note
The auther placed a value of his Canada $5.00 error at $1,000 to $2,000 in Uncirculated Condition...
I have my personal opinion on this book and will keep it to myself at this time, the book however, does show some really nice Error Currency...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1166 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2011  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ikandiggit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been in contact with Mr. Fischer and he'd like a scan of my note. However, because my scanner is new, it won't allow me to scan it because of the security features. I'm still trying to find someone around me that has an older scanner that can do the job.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2011  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it the scanner or software? If you use it as a simple TWAIN device it might work under Irfanview.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1166 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2011  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ikandiggit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is it the scanner or software? If you use it as a simple TWAIN device it might work under Irfanview.

I'm not that computer savvy to make that determination. My old HP scanner/printer died and I bought a Canon MP480.

It won't scan newer Canadian Journey notes or new U.S. notes and some new world notes. There's been a lot of discussion on paper money forums regarding this and it's a recent development in newer scanners.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2011  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a software limitation AFAIK, the scan image matches some preset factors and bingo off it goes. Try my solution, Irfanview is freeware, it sees your scanner as a twain device and bypasses the pre bundled drivers and software. Unlike Photoshop or other image manipulation programs, it doesn't do image matching for money. I had the same problem with an Epson CX5000 , I switched to Irfanview betting it would bypass the "idiocy" and it does. I'm very computer literate if you require help with this. I've seen your posts on the topic on other forums I read at but don't post on. Feel free to take it to email.

Sorry for the off topic, I'm just really interested in these notes so whatever I can do to assist, I shall.
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2011  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Monedas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had never seen a note like it before.
United Kingdom
0 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2013  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add a-harvey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
*** Edited by Staff - Please Review the rules that you agreed to when you registered. ***
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1187 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2013  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Check Pokermandude's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pokermandude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is quite the error note! And a pretty sweet acquisition story to boot.

Anyone have an idea of the value of a note like that?
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2013  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Left to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! what a story!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1799 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2014  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Broken-Coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Token Magazine published my email and front photo of the £20 error note on page 81 in this months (June) edition of Coin News under "MAIL BOX" requesting information on others.

To date, this is the only reported example, and I would like to locate other examples before advertising it as "Unique"...
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 9,150Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05