Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1927 South Africa Sixpence Lettering fault?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
6 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2011  01:40 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add macartr2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am totally new to the world of coin collecting and only got interested last week when given a box of old/new coins to sell on eBay by a family member.
When composing the photo of the SA 1927 sixpence I noticed the lettering on the head was joined along the "ORGI" in George. Is this a common error, and could someone please tell me what sort of error it is?
Does this type of fault add any value to a coin?
Thanks for taking time to read this post, and for any advice given - like I said I am a newbie.

Richard
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14000 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2011  03:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
mecartr2: Welcome to the CCF!

What you are referring to here is an image on the coin of a crack in the die which struck the coin. (die crack error)

This coin is an error coin, and a reasonably nice one at that!

Die cracks are not supposed to happen and are scarce, but they are not excessively rare.
United Kingdom
6 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2011  03:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add macartr2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks for the reply. Before last week I didn't realise the complexities that lay behind coin collecting, and am now considering keeping a few of the best I was given instead of selling on eBay. I didn't realise just how stunning some coins in their uncirculated look, and the detail that comes to light once the coin has been magnified. Is this the start of a new hobby?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14000 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2011  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
macartr2: What town / city do you live in? Is there a coin dealer near you?

It's worth having a look at what they have that may interest you.
I lived and worked in the Manchester area for a couple of years, and made a point of attending coin shows that came up, while I was there.

There are some interesting dealers in London that cater for all price ranges from the least to most expensive. Also, give the Net a good search, try 'vcoins' search function, (world coins) and eBay to educate yourself.

Have a good look at this website; there is a subforum on U.K. coins.
Have a look at The Royal Mint publications on their website.
If you are into American coins, you have come to THE right place!
The CCF IS a numismatic family, of sorts.

Enjoy your new hobby!
United Kingdom
6 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2011  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add macartr2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Once again, thanks for coming back with advice. I live in Newcastle and yes we do have some dealers in and around the city so I will have a look once I have sorted through the 1000+ collection I was given. There are a few interesting ones I have found already, so hopefully it will be a sharp learning curve once I get going.

Regards

Richard
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2011  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice die crack/break. It's almost what we call a "retained cud" here in the States.
It denotes a die break that completely separates a piece of the die, but piece has not yet fallen out.
United Kingdom
6 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2011  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add macartr2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice/info, it really is appreciated. Just how common or rare is a fault like this?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05