Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Specializing in Modern Numismatics 300,000 items to help build your collection! Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsRoyal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

1871 Shield Nickel For Grading

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 108Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
279 Posts
 Posted Today  4H 1M ago Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add lahave56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
I've had this coin for awhile. Obviously a key date. Purchased as part of an inherited collection.

My initial estimate at the grade when I first acquired it was VG Details due to the corrosion. I think it may well be a ground find.

I've been re-organizing and took another look and figured I'd get a second opinion on the grade. I also now recognize what looks to me like PVC contamination and given the details nature of the coin I think it's worth an acetone soak to try to mitigate it.

Opinions appreciated.


1871-Shield-Nickel-For-Grading

1871-Shield-Nickel-For-Grading
Bedrock of the Community
Errers and Varietys's Avatar
United States
79149 Posts
 Posted Today  3H 38M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say you're correct.
Errers and Varietys.
Moderator
Learn More...
jbuck's Avatar
United States
195712 Posts
New Member
henryvoight's Avatar
United States
31 Posts
 Posted Today  2H 20M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add henryvoight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone is the way to go.
Valued Member
Canada
279 Posts
 Posted Today  2H 6M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lahave56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input folks. The reverse certainly looks better than the obverse IMO and I'm wondering if it's already been cleaned at some point (although maybe not with acetone) giving it the cameo aspect @jbuck mentioned. It's a keeper anyway.
Moderator
Learn More...
jbuck's Avatar
United States
195712 Posts
Moderator
Learn More...
Dearborn's Avatar
United States
107058 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 108Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Forums