Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsSpecializing in Modern Numismatics Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors 300,000 items to help build your collection!








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

1871 Shield Nickel For Grading

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 12 / Views: 250Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
284 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   10:50 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add lahave56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
I've had this coin for awhile. Obviously a key date. Purchased as part of an inherited collection.

My initial estimate at the grade when I first acquired it was VG Details due to the corrosion. I think it may well be a ground find.

I've been re-organizing and took another look and figured I'd get a second opinion on the grade. I also now recognize what looks to me like PVC contamination and given the details nature of the coin I think it's worth an acetone soak to try to mitigate it.

Opinions appreciated.


1871-Shield-Nickel-For-Grading

1871-Shield-Nickel-For-Grading
Bedrock of the Community
Errers and Varietys's Avatar
United States
79193 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say you're correct.
Errers and Varietys.
Moderator
Learn More...
jbuck's Avatar
United States
195810 Posts
New Member
henryvoight's Avatar
United States
34 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add henryvoight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone is the way to go.
Valued Member
Canada
284 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lahave56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input folks. The reverse certainly looks better than the obverse IMO and I'm wondering if it's already been cleaned at some point (although maybe not with acetone) giving it the cameo aspect @jbuck mentioned. It's a keeper anyway.
Moderator
Learn More...
jbuck's Avatar
United States
195810 Posts
Moderator
Learn More...
Dearborn's Avatar
United States
107175 Posts
Valued Member
Canada
284 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lahave56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
key date?


Fair question @Dearborn. I was going by the relatively low mintage. I guess it is not a key date officially. Thanks for pointing it out.
Moderator
Learn More...
jbuck's Avatar
United States
195810 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would call it a semi-key date. It is one of four with mintage below one million.
Pillar of the Community
United States
980 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add adam126402 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt acetone will touch the green stuff. But certainly won't hurt. I tried acetone and a long long soak in Verdicare and no improvement whatsoever.
Bedrock of the Community
IndianGoldEagle's Avatar
United States
37154 Posts
 Posted Today  4H 35M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF details, environmental damage. No dip or other solution will help this one.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
panzaldi's Avatar
United States
18924 Posts
 Posted Today  3H 49M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with IGE, I dont think anything can help her but the verdigris may bother me. improperly stored probably in a high humidity environment for a long time.

VF details (ED)
Valued Member
Canada
284 Posts
 Posted Today  55M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lahave56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks folks. I think the split between VG and VF is telling me the grade is probably F Details (ED). Reviewing the ANA grading descriptions found on shieldnickels.net I think that's probably reasonable.

My thoughts on cleaning were focused on the green goo areas. The rest of the corrosion is what it is. I have both acetone and Verdi-care so I'll try the acetone first and then Verdi-care if I get no results. The motivation is the green goo looks bad and removing it will hopefully improve the looks and maybe prevent further damage although perhaps that ship has sailed.

Also, when the coin came to me it was in a 2x2.

Thanks for the inputs.
  Replies: 12 / Views: 250Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Forums