Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Is 2008 the end of the line?

Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2576 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  4:39 pm  Show Profile Check Earle42's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Visualize Whirled Peas
- Doctors with patience will lose money letting loose their patients.
- They're over there with their car.
Valued Member
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
263 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  01:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinmap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was just noticing that my Kennedy Dansco 8166 only has holes left for 2012 P & D. do I go out and buy another page, which right now doesn't look like it will fit in the book, wait until 2017, when that page would be finished, or wait for a new book, to fit the next page in?
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
4966 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  01:28 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These albums are the go to add the extra coins at whim.

Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1195 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  01:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add argentum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll miss the Memorial reverse too, but I imagine Shield cents will be with us for years to come. Unfortunately.

I actually LIKE the Shield reverse better than the Memorial Reverse.

Though the raised text of "ONE CENT" on that ribbon may be problematic with respect to wear, I suspect.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2604 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  09:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DNA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

When the LMC came out in 1959, many people called them "Trolley Car" Cents.

The Lincoln Memorial looks majestic in person, but on the back of the 1959-2008 Cent, it looks like the trolleys you see rolling around downtown San Francisco.
GO: (Coin Collecting is) the only hobby that when you are broke you still have money.

DNA: "When you pay with cash, you KNOW when you're broke."

markn's US Silver Coin Melt Value Calculator
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  09:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
too.

The shield is a very traditional image for US coins, and the simplicity of the design matches the small size and denomination of the cent. I bet they save a bit of money from longer die life too. The sharp corners of the memorial produced certain very common die cracks, which must shorten die life. The shield has no sharp edges or corners, and no really fine details, so I'd wager they get away with using the dies a lot longer.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since I had a newer Lincoln Dansco, there was no "dilemma" as to what or where will "post-2008 Cents go?"
(i do have an older US Mint Lincoln album too)

I suspect that there will end up being a lot of folders or even some albums that will have the 2009 versions at the end......and then some that will "start" with the 2009 versions, and then go with the new Shield designs from there forward.
This anniversary year of 2009 isn't a Memorial OR A Shield design........but it's gotta go SOMEWHERE ! .....

Similar to the U.S. Territories and the State Quarters.....not really though, most view them as part of the same album of the State quarters, then the ATB's a new seperate run.
(Though I have a seperate Dansco for my Territory P & D's, Proofs, and Silver Proofs)

My Dansco for the Lincoln Cents provides what I need already, being a newer album.....problem is solved before I realized there'd even be one ! ...
Valued Member
United States
263 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinmap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I doubt they will, but I would like to see a shield cent Dansco

One of the problems with this is that if Dansco, or any company, starts an album for the Shield Cents, and in 3 years, they stop making the cent, then you are stuck with another album with just one page.

Unfortunately, these companies have no more information on what the US Mint, and Congress is going to do, than we do. It is all reactionary decisions that have to be made. If you want the "perfect" book, than you will have to wait until the series is done, or at least until it is a few years along, as to give you at least some full pages.
United States
21092 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I doubt they will, but I would like to see a shield cent Dansco
Look here.

Dansco is doing a bunch of updates!

Quote:
One of the problems with this is that if Dansco, or any company, starts an album for the Shield Cents, and in 3 years, they stop making the cent, then you are stuck with another album with just one page.
I strongly believe that the cent will continue as NIFC in mint sets for many years after they stop making them for circulation. I could be wrong, but it is what I would like to see happen.

Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1711 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  3:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parklane64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This has become a pensive thread....
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ljenkins990 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Though the raised text of "ONE CENT" on that ribbon may be problematic with respect to wear, I suspect.

To each their own. I don't particularly care for the Shield reverse all in all, but I respect the fact that there are those who feel differently. Perhaps one day it'll grow on me.

I will say this, though - I do think the font that they used for "United States of America" was really cool and a definite improvement. And I also agree that the simpler design will be better from a die-wear standpoint.
United States
21092 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When the LMC came out in 1959, many people called them "Trolley Car" Cents... it looks like the trolleys you see rolling around downtown San Francisco
I somehow missed this comment earlier or forgot to respond. When I was a kid (before I started collecting), I thought it was a caboose.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05