Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Main Coin Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

How in the world does a collector decide?

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
jcra80
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  11:28 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jcra80 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I am perlexed and I change my mind all the time..........

There was my Barber dime period....... Morgan dollar period.......... Walking Liberty period...............

With so many choices how did you decide what to collect?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
920 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  11:31 am  Show Profile Check stud722's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stud722 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am new to collecting, but I have started to collect world coins for the simple reason that they interest me. I like to find the history of the coin, the artistic value, and I really like animal coins. Just my 2 cents
264 Countries and Counting!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2488 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim Stroud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a code I go by and it has worked very well for me in the past. It goes like this. If I see it and I want, can afford it, I buy it. Very simple,only problem is I see a lot of stuff I want, and most of the time can afford. The only problem with the whole plan is collection management. I am currently trying to use Six Sigma and 5-S practices to get things under control.

Like that is gonna happen.
Pay your taxes! 12 million illegal immigrants are depending on it.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."
Thomas Jefferson

Oldest Circulation Find ----- 1897S Barber quarter
Oldest Detector Find -------- 1803 Large cent

Valued Member
India
78 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add drkrish21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My greatest worry with old coins is counterfeits.... so collecting world coins is a better choice atleast for me...
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1549 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  12:16 pm  Show Profile Check glenzy1's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add glenzy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello jcra80, when I first started collecting coins, I had the same problem as you are facing. What I did for a solid year, I collected every Canadian coin I "thought I liked" for a full year in lower grades.
Every week while reviewing my Collection I noticed I started favouring a particular grouping/series of Canadian coins and as time went by the love for this particular year/set/grade/series became more focused.
I've now whittled away my acquisitions to all six Canadian decimals ("business strikes only") between the years 1858-1967.
My Collection is now finished, all I do occasionally is upgrade!

Glenn
Pillar Of The Community
United States
988 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  1:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HONDO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was immediately drawn to Franklin halves, just by the look of them. Can't really explain it. The more time that goes b, the more I read, learn and find new things (varieties, errors, etc) to look for. Very interesting and very fun. I also keep up do date with and collect modern us quarters. The state quarters are what turned me into a coin collector.

For you, I would suggest to keep looking for and buying coins that interest you the most. Buy a book and study them. One will eventually jump out. At the same time, there's nothing wrong with multiple collections. Keeps things from getting stale!
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Buzzard to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the great things about collecting coins is that it is up to you to decide how you are going to do it. No harm will be done if you leave a series unfinished. It will be waiting for you when you are ready to return. Coins don't eat, they don't take up much room, and they rarely break down and require repairs.

If you are looking for more structure, catalog your coins and look to see if there is hidden structure in what you have been acquiring. With Barber dimes, Morgan dollars, and Walking Liberty halves, it looks like you can call yourself a collector of Classic American Silver. Now if you choose to move on to, say, Standing Liberty quarters it won't be random, it'll be part of your grand plan.
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
16618 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  4:00 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I embraced the randomness a long time ago.

Although my fascination with Morgans, especially 1921's, will not wane the next coin in my collection could just as easily be a Lincoln Cent or a Barber quarter or a Bust Half or a.....well, just about anything.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DM1975 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have learned one thing in life in this area and it is to never pass up a good deal if you can afford it. What I gain from those good deals that don't particularly fit into my plans at the moment is that they help to drive my future passions in my collecting.
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started with the Morgan dollars but have been through quite a few stages where I have collected other series of coins including Britannia's . There really is no wrong choice to what you collect as every series has people that think they are beautiful in their own way. I just say pick something that you find appealing to you and if it changes you can always come back to it down the road if you wish
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2624 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  6:38 pm  Show Profile Check SeatedNut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How do I decide?

I Flip a Coin!

Sorry, it just had to be said.
So many coins, so little time ...
Pillar Of The Community
3352 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I participated in a recent poll, which asked the CCF members what type of Canadian coins they collected (I think it was glenzy1's poll?) ... anyway, the results showed that "dimes" were a total outlier (very few people collect dimes compared to the other denominations) ...

So, if I was just starting-out => I would aim for dimes, because I think there are probably far more great big fat bargains in that market at the moment!?

... but even knowing this fact, I still can't force myself to collect dimes (you need really small fingers!)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
12507 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  6:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
With so many choices how did you decide what to collect?

You mean you actually try to decide on what to collect? Why?
Just collect coins. Any coins. Collect them all.

Quote:
How do I decide?

I Flip a Coin!

Sorry, it just had to be said.

About what I really do.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
329 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  05:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BuffaloBonehead to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, dimes seem to be an outlier. My real life coin-collecting friends also shun Jefferson Nickels, though I know that isn't necessarily the consensus just from seeing the posts on here.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2866 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  08:37 am  Show Profile Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found it impossible to focus on just one type of coin since I found them all so fascinating. That's why I finally decided to focus on my 7070 U.S. Type Album so I could "legitimately" collect a little of everything. Now that I have completely filled it, I am working on slowly upgrading the coins within and I expect that to keep me busy for years to come.
Valued Member
Finland
241 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Eurocoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I started it was obvious that I collect every coin by date from my country (1864 to date). That was what everyone collected here, every denomination from the first possibly year to date. But once I looked trough my coin albums I started to think that I don't want to look same desings page after page. I kept only one from every type and sold the rest. I started to collect world coins by type and especially European ones 1900-date. I can say this is really fun and you can find a lot of bargains due to large field.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05