Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Third Party Coin Grading (TPG)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

What Is The Difference Between PCGS and NGC

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
acramos1
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2009  2:29 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add acramos1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

How are the top two grading companies different?

Moved to TPG forum - Sap

Valued Member
United States
198 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2009  2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jim Archibald to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS costs more up front and seems to bring better return in sales, but as far as technical grading is concerned they are pretty equal. In a recent study both PCGS & NGC received top marks, the only two certification services to do so. ~ Jim
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2009  3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acramos1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do they grade equally with modern coins as well as old coins?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1815 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2009  6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steve199 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do they grade equally with modern coins as well as old coins?

They do not grade the MS69 and MS70 coins equally. NGC seems to give an MS70 grade out easier than PCGS will. A coin graded MS70 by PCGS will command a higher premium than the one in the NGC holder.

Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2009  8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acramos1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What about PF69 and PF70?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1815 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2009  12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steve199 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What about PF69 and PF70?

I think the same holds true for that, but don't hold me to it. Do you have a specific coin in mind? Closed auctions on eBay is a good resource for values; look at them for both NGC and PCGS. For coins with high enough values (~$100+), Heritage (www.ha.com) is in incredible resource.
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2009  8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acramos1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something like the new lincoln cents or the statehood quarters.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2009  04:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mpcolorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My experience with modern coins and PCGS vs. NGC is PCGS is much more conservative (i.e., harder) to get an MS-70/PF-70. They also across the board value the coins they grade at a higher price. A sidenote is - I think there's a service that actually monitors the big-four TPG's monthly (ANACS, ICG, NGC, PCGS) as to amount of sight-unseen trading, wholesale pricing, etc. PCGS usually gets a premium over NGC (and ANACS and ICG). That in turn keeps the most popular monthly TPG in the mind of dealers when it comes time to buy/sell/trade coins. Real life experience = I have an almost complete NGC PF-70 (as well as some MS-70) Amer Eagles and the price differential with PCGS (which I have a number in MS-69/PF-69) and NGC is LARGE. Additionally, I also have a healthy 1932-1998 Wash Quarter collection with a number of both NGC and PCGS slabbed coins (and some ANACS sprinkled in here and there). PCGS is often times WAY higher valued and if I have an NGC MS-67, it's going to come back as a PCGS MS-66/MS-65 (for example). They're both expensive so I guess that's an equalizer <grin>!

- mpcolorado
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1248 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2009  1:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hhbkiddo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Jim Archibald,
do you know WHICH TPG's took part in this "grading contest"?
any canadians in it?
Valued Member
Australia
60 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2010  07:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RareSov to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually PCGS gives out MS70 easier on some coins, notably the Ultra High Relief Double Eagle

There is a lot of perception in the pricing of PCGS graded coins. Bargains to be had when they aren't in that holder.
Valued Member
Australia
60 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2010  07:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RareSov to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh and MS presidential dollars are overgraded by PCGS. MS68 is the highest grade, they get MS67 when submitted to NGC

So dont drink the kool aid.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05