Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Specializing in Modern Numismatics Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors 300,000 items to help build your collection! Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsCoin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Certified Coin Type Set

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 1,808Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
busthalf's Avatar
United States
1304 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2009  6:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add busthalf to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
When I began my certified type set I was only collecting NGC and PCGS graded coins. But I have found that this will only take you so far. I try to stay in the $250.00 to $400.00 range but like I said you really can't find the coins that I'm now on in that price range. I'm considering going to ANANS and ICG to continue with my collection. I would really like your thoughts on these gradings services.
Bedrock of the Community
BH1964's Avatar
United States
10982 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2010  12:15 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm considering going to ANANS and ICG...


I'm certain you meant ANACS and they are a good grading service. ICG is legit also but (arguably) tend to be a touch more liberal than the top tier services.

I've owned coins certified by all four of the top companies. The important point to remember is: Buy the coin, not the slab.
ANA #R3154474
Bedrock of the Community
biokemist6's Avatar
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2010  12:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think ICG is fine for the classics but they do tend to be a bit liberal on more modern high grade MS stuff. Plenty of good coins in ANACS and ICG plastic.
Bedrock of the Community
Bryan1315's Avatar
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2010  04:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the ICG with classics comment. ICG is very good at grading classic coins, they just don't have a good reputation with moderns. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a ICG graded classic coin for a type set (as a matter of fact I have) as long as I agree with the grading myself (but the same would apply to PCGS or any other TPG for that matter).
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 1,808Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Forums