Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Specializing in Modern Numismatics Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin Auctions300,000 items to help build your collection! Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Carson City Museum Coin And Mint Collection Pictures

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
First Page Previous Page  Showing last 15 replies.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 77 / Views: 7,557Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
United States
3361 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2015  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list
I got it at Carson Valley for $1, in the old V&T station just north of the mint. I got an 1893-cc $10 while I was in Reno, from Silver State, so the trip wasn't all about finding junk coins. Most of the trip wasn't about coins at all...eating sweetbreads with Picon punch at JT Basque in Gardnerville, listening to Frank Sinatra Jr., dropping some bills in 9/6 jacks or better, riding the train up from Carson to Virginia City. Lots to do.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Pillar of the Community
United States
7390 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2015  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list
So true, I went twice in a week last month and have been about half a dozen times or so and still I see something new every time.
Moderator
Learn More...
United States
195742 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3361 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2015  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list
I was wondering how you'd hold the coin to shoot a good hole through it. Would an old Whitman folder work? I'd hate to use a slab. I'm always looking for good targets and an album full of pennies would be more interesting than the usual beer cans and coffee cups.

Probably should tack it to a piece of plywood. After I do it I'll post a photo.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
06/24/2015 7:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7390 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2015  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list
Edited by Cascade
06/24/2015 7:56 pm
Moderator
Learn More...
United States
195742 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2015  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list

Quote:
I'm always looking for good targets and an album full of pennies would be more interesting than the usual beer cans and coffee cups.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3361 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2015  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list
I got the penny shooting idea on this post, and have finished the experiment. Shooting at coins in an old Danso album using a 22 pistol was frustrating, no matter how close I got. It was like the carnival game where you throw darts at balloons. Out of 50 shots this was the best result

Carson-City-Museum-Coin-And-Mint-Collection-Pictures

Most shots either missed or glanced off. Most hit coins flipped out of the book and were hard to find. The zinc cores are somewhat malleable, but fracture out more than silver.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
07/07/2015 7:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2115 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2026  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cptbilly to your friends list
Admission price is now $10.00. . .seeing the gold coins in person was worth the gas money & the entry fee. Coin press only operates on Saturdays. . .it's an easy drive from Reno through some decent high desert scenery.
" Even a clock that's stopped is right twice a day. "
Moderator
Learn More...
United States
195742 Posts
Moderator
Learn More...
United States
16696 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2026  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list
Just visited today. Nice to be back to the CC Mint.
Also went into Northern Nevada Coin shop across the street from the mint to see their amazing inventory. Got to handle a pewter 1776 Continental Currency, not sure but PCGS MS61?
Anyway, always nice to handle a $135,000 coin.
Went through their Morgan dollar cull box. Found an 1889-O with luster and gold and purple crescent toning on the reverse for Morgan spot. Great day!
swcoin.ecrater.com
Moderator
Learn More...
United States
195742 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2115 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2026  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cptbilly to your friends list
A few snapshots from my visit:
Carson-City-Museum-Coin-And-Mint-Collection-Pictures
Carson-City-Museum-Coin-And-Mint-Collection-Pictures Carson-City-Museum-Coin-And-Mint-Collection-Pictures
Carson-City-Museum-Coin-And-Mint-Collection-Pictures
Carson-City-Museum-Coin-And-Mint-Collection-Pictures Carson-City-Museum-Coin-And-Mint-Collection-Pictures
Carson-City-Museum-Coin-And-Mint-Collection-Pictures Carson-City-Museum-Coin-And-Mint-Collection-Pictures
I'm guessing the museum is constrained on budget as to maintenance; some of the exhibits don't appear to have been cleaned, dusted, or -- in the case of the USS Nevada Silver Service -- polished since Cascade's 2015 visit.
Edited by cptbilly
09/01/2026 3:24 pm
Moderator
Learn More...
United States
195742 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
863 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2026  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bud250r to your friends list
I do want to get there one of these days.
Thanks for the report and photos.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3554 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2026  08:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srs77 to your friends list
Love those cancelled dies. Thanks for sharing this.
Previous TopicReplies: 77 / Views: 7,557Next Topic
Page: of 6
First Page Previous Page  Showing last 15 replies.
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.


    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Forums