| Author |
Replies: 18 / Views: 1,297 |
Page 2 of 2
|
|
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
79635 Posts |
Nice sized Die Chip. 
Errers and Varietys.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts |
Nice!
I was looking forward to the die chips/cracks on this design, it just seems ripe for them.
|
|
Valued Member
 United States
197 Posts |
Straight from the mint uncirculated, I have found so many die chips and cracks on the 2026 dimes. In the same roll as the five Serpent Head die chip coins, I also found three other die crack coins like the one pictured below. 
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
79635 Posts |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
6883 Posts |
Quote: In opening up a Mint uncirculated plastic roll Should the word "Mint" be used here?
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19629 Posts |
Do like that die crack (and associated chip).
|
|
Valued Member
 United States
197 Posts |
Thanks E&V for the link... I read the article and found it interesting that on this particular 2026 dime, the Mint decided to transition between two die curvature designs. I think this means that some coins were minted the traditional way with a spherical face to the die, and now a newer method has been used for the new dime. I could be wrong on this, but my take is that the newer flat die face is prone to cracks and die chips due to a die transitioning error(?). Am I reading this right?
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
3514 Posts |
Quote: Should the word "Mint" be used here? I believe the OP is referencing the P&D roll set that comes packaged, from the mint, in a plastic tray sealed in cardboard box.
Edited by nfine 07/15/2026 2:04 pm
|
|
Valued Member
 United States
197 Posts |
Thanks for clarifying... that is exactly what I have. 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1538 Posts |
Great finds but not surprising, since Roosevelt dimes are loaded with die chips and this design likely causes even more strike stress.
|
|
Valued Member
 United States
197 Posts |
Although these are not really error coins, they will only be out for one year, so could they become desirable?
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
5898 Posts |
Like most "coveted" coins, it will depend on severity, hype, and availability. Hang on to them because that second example might have turned into a much larger oval die chip.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
7368 Posts |
Maybe Dearborn should crack open his Mint rolls and check for cracks or even a Cud....   I'll keep trying to get you to crack some of those open.... 
Edited by Greasy Fingers 07/17/2026 12:42 am
|
|
Valued Member
 United States
197 Posts |
Is it possible for the large oval die chip to break away.. if so, is it then a die chip or lamination error.
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
79635 Posts |
Quote: Is it possible for the large oval die chip to break away? Definitely. If that piece of the die keeps cracking and chipping, that piece will eventually completely break away. Because of the size, it might be considered a big Interior Die Break.
Errers and Varietys.
Edited by Errers and Varietys 07/23/2026 5:51 pm
|
|
Page 2 of 2
|
Replies: 18 / Views: 1,297 |
Page 2 of 2
|