| Author |
Replies: 5 / Views: 1,000 |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
595 Posts |
Here is e-mail I sent to WhitmanBooks.com on Saturday: I ordered your 20th Century United States Type Set album from Brent-Krueger ($15.95, an excellent discounted price). When it arrived, the cover was completely detached from the plastic spine which holds the posts that hold the pages. The rivets do not appear to have been set correctly, and the spine was also split from the top hole to the end. I complained to Brent-Krueger, and they generously sent me a new one at no cost. It arrived yesterday. The second page had a major flaw where the blue lining material between two coin holes was torn and folded over on itself. I could not find a way to repair it; gluing would not work as the only thing it would stick to would be the plastic slide, which is unacceptable. Luckily, I happened to have another album just like it, so I swapped the second page from the album with the detached cover, and now I have a perfectly serviceable album for my 20th Century Type Set. Both of these albums were encased in heat-shrink plastic when they arrived at my house, so I presume what we are dealing with are defects in material and/or workmanship. It is very disappointing. I have always had a high regard for Whitman products, but this experience will make me very wary before I buy another album of yours.Here is the reply I got tonight: Thank you for your inquiry to Whitman Publishing, LLC. I apologize that you received some defective product. When working with humans mistakes will happen, we strive for perfection, however we do fall short sometimes. I am pleased that you do have one complete album. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Thank you again for your inquiry. Thanks Whitman Publishing, LLC I don't know what I was expecting in the way of response. Oh well, the album wasn't my only disappointment, I guess.  Jan 
|
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
560 Posts |
That is disappointing. It seems like quality control is now something that is optional - or outsourced. From the tone of this response, it also seems like they're getting lots of complaints.
I use the Whitman plastic 2X2s and recently started getting a lot of broken pieces in brand new boxes. They also replaced the clear quarter 2X2s with opaque HE Harris ones (evidently the two companies are now one). These also have an obnoxious HE Harris label stamped on them. When I complained that I didn't want these, I was told that they had run out of the clear ones and would produce more when the current supply was exhausted. So I would either need to get use to HE Harris stamped all over my collection or switch to something else. Great!
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
6326 Posts |
That is kind of a "let down"........I guess you've just got to check everything very very carefully at the time of purchase from now on !
|
|
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts |
I am looking for a 20th century type set book also. I have a Dansco 7070 type set but that will be a long time in filling up,as it is 19th and 20th. century. Dansco does not seem to make just a 20th century one. Can anyone recommend something. How about capital plastic, do they have 20th century one.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
668 Posts |
The Lincoln Cent Album I oreded from the whitman website is fine.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
196100 Posts |
|
| |
Replies: 5 / Views: 1,000 |
|