Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. 300,000 items to help build your collection! Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin Auctions








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Unknown Roman Ae With Galley | Aigeai, Cilicia - Tranquilina

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 1,139Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Russian Federation
5186 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2018  12:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
Just went on a coin shopping trip in celebration of my birthday; bought a few more coins for my OFEC attempt (Turks and Caicos, Sarawak, Crimea), a new Romanian type, some random low-grade 18th century stuff - and this weird ancient.

Seller said that it was probably Augustus, but wasn't quite sure either; I decided that the chance of it really being Augustus was worth the $9 I paid, and it was clearly an interesting Roman coin anyway.

Unknown-Roman-Ae-With-Galley-|-Aigeai,-Cilicia---Tranquilina
Unknown-Roman-Ae-With-Galley-|-Aigeai,-Cilicia---Tranquilina

Obverse: portrait to right, illegible-looking legend around (the start kind of looks like CAES, and there's a few other just visible letters, but I can't read anything definitely).

Reverse: galley (to left, I think, but I'm not sure what the front part is), two-line legend below, traces of possible legend above.

The size is 26 by 24 mm; can't give the weight (misplaced my ruler).


I can't make sense of the letters under the galley at all. If they're Latin, they appear to be complete gibberish (but could be abbreviations); if they're Greek, they kind of look like ΑΙΓΕΛΙΩΝ, but I have no idea what it could mean (or even whether I'm reading them correctly).

I checked the Wildwinds listings for Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula, Claudius, Trajan, and Hadrian, and did not stumble on any matches. I might have missed them, however (or the coin could be a type not in Wildwinds, and/or not of any of those emperors).



EDIT: some googling while finalizing this post provided this almost certain match - Aigeai, Cilicia, for Tranquilina.
(Reverse fits so exactly it might well be a die match; obverse is too damaged to be sure either way.)

Still a nice purchase for $9, I guess? Might as well post it here anyway.
Valued Member
josephrg's Avatar
United States
234 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2018  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add josephrg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a coin like this with Hadrian as the emperor so maybe that is who it is.
Bedrock of the Community
sel_69l's Avatar
Australia
21792 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2018  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's that I like about interesting, but poor condition ancient coins:
they provide lots of fun and challenge in the identification of them.

I can understand your eureka ! moment in 'nailing' this one.

Congratulations. A $9 coin with full identification is now a $20 coin.
Moderator
Learn More...
Spence's Avatar
United States
34564 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2018  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great pick-up--what a great b-day present for yourself!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 1,139Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to rattle this change. Forums