It's PMD, scratches are indicative of being dragged across something grainy like sandpaper, just damaged. Some call these "parking lot coins", may not be how it happened, but you get the point.
My default reply is always PMD, but I'm not 100% convinced on this one. The reason is that the scratches don't seem to be on the rim (which is a high point). It is a little hard to tell from the pics, but these linear defects do appear to be on several of the low points of the portrait and inscription. I would think that roadrash would normally hit the highest points of the design elements.
Crazyb0 is almost always right, so I'd hate to bet against him being wrong. Maybe a couple other folks will weigh in on whether this is just PMD or something else.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push." -----Ghanaian proverb
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed." -----King Adz
If it were damage, you would see it stronger on the rims. I'm thinking rolling lines on the planchet. I bet if we looked closer between the devices, we would see these lines on the fields on Liberty?
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use