This doesn't look anything like MD. But I feel it is part of a WHDDO-002? If so there should be doubling on the ear and hair also: http://doubleddie.com/1141429.html
Quote:
1966 50¢ WWHO-002 Description: Strong doubling shows on back of the neck and head as well as on the lower profile including the neck, chin, and lips. Doubling also shows on the back of the ear, the hair details to the right of the upper ear, and the designer's initials. A close spread shows on IGWT. Die Markers: Obverse: The markers will vary on the different working dies. Reverse: The markers will vary on the different working dies.
There has been an issue with a working hub that was doubled. But not MD.
Need more images to see if the doubling also on the other areas to know for sure.
I agree that there's no MD, they're probably seeing the reflection from the lighting. There are very slight notches and separation lines on the letters, likely the doubled working hub as coop said.
Looking at your photos, especially seeing two small die gouges in the last one, I think you may have the CONECA listed 66 SMS DDO-028. A way to tell for sure I believe would be to see if your half has the listed marker, light die scratch south west of the lower lip, or the very light CW rotation on the I and B of LIBERTY. See photos attached from the DDO-028 in my collection. Larry Nienaber
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use