Yeah. It wasn't a screw up according to them they posted the release date of the coin. That finder found them 6 days early and submitted before the official release date. while they slabbed them as early accidental release 1 of 2 and 2 of 2 for his summissions, they gave the reward to the first submission's that came in after the official release date. Maybe one of his also in that group of 6 for all I know.
Had they kept giving it to people that got them early than anyone with an underground connection at an armored carrier could technically cheat it, get it to their buddies early and cash in on the reward.
I think their resolution was fair personally for the contest, but I've got no skin in the game. I would think even if he submitted early, one of his sumissions should have been held until after the official release date and put with any others that got submitted. I'm not sure if that happened or not, but I think that's what should have happened.
Quote: To PCGS's credit it's a brilliant market scheme. How many were submitted hoping for that prize? The grader is making a killing.
They're very likely giving away more in prize money they they are getting first day submissions for the first found. That said the attention it brings them is certainly worth it and it is very cool they're doing these contests that get people talking about it
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use